evenings

we don't speak a word to each other, simply enjoying each other's presence; a book cradled in your hands, a page between your finger and thumb eagerly waiting to turn the page

my head rested against your collarbones as yours leaned atop mine, our eyes both fixated on the words sprawled in front of us.
i feel the soft rising and falling of your chest as you slowly inhale and exhale, the soft linen sheets draped around our body's as the polar white stars outside the window, scattered like moon dust in the sky, twinkle brightly.
sometimes my heart feels like those stars, so plentiful and peaceful, surrounded with light but never intruded upon.
your hair falls in front of your eyes, and you make a futile attempt to blow it away from your eyes as to not interrupt the book.
reaching my hand up i brush the hair behind your ear, admiring the small silver jewellery that adjoined it, and the freckles that swept across your face, just like those moon-dust stars.
your honey brown eyes flickered over my face before leaning in for a kiss, softer than the flutter of a butterfly's wings across my lips.
nighttime's are my favourite, i get to observe you in a new, sympathetic light that i don't acquire from the daytime, your face soft but sharp is accentuated by the dark sky, your eyes dark but oh so warm, golden like an everlasting eclipse, the shadows fall perfectly over your neck.
a contentedness flooded my body from the tips of my fingers to the ends of my hair as my eyelids begin to droop, knowing i can have you in the moment and in this memory forever.