Episode 6: Camping Conundrum (Part 1)

The thing about Earthni? Its weather patterns were extraordinarily unusual. One day it could be exploding in snowy cold flurries, and the next it could be as warm as the Sahara Desert. And of course, hot days didn't exclude the possibility of brief freezing patterns, and cold days didn't excuse the brief occurrence of heat waves. Seasons didn't really exist the way they used to pre-Cleave. What did this mean? Well, all of a sudden it was a perfect time for a weekend camping trip! Marco & his folks, Star & her folks, Janna, Tom, Jackie, and Chloe set off towards the forest for what they were certain was going to be a fantastic weekend camping trip. With Marco riding in the family RV with the others & Star riding in her family's carriage pulled by their horses - which, even after all this time, they still had for some reason - they set off towards their weekend of excitement.

"Hey Mr. Diaz!" Janna yelled from her seat. "Are we there yet?"

Yes, Janna decided that it was high time for her to play around & mess with Marco's parents. Marco, predictably, wasn't amused. "Are you really that committed to asking every five minutes?"

"Oh, Diaz, do you not know me by now?" Janna smirked. "You know my interests in who to mess with constantly vary. Give it, like, fifteen minutes tops."

"It's true." Piped up Tom from the seat next to her. "She drifts from target to target."

A few silent blinks from Marco as his brain made the effort to process what was just conveyed. "It bothers me how nonchalantly you just said that."

"Hey, when you're in tune with your partner, you just know how they roll. Ain't that right?" Whatever he was hoping to accomplish with that line, it...did not pan out. Janna just silently shook her head in his direction. "No?"

"Partner? What? Are we a detective agency?"

"I don't know, you in to that kind of thing?"

For his own benefit, Marco couldn't help but chuckle as he turned his head back towards the window. Taking in the lovely scenery around him always calmed him on road trips. But his intake of the scenic view had to wait as he found himself before tapped on the shoulder from behind, from none other than Jackie & Chloe.

"Speaking of being in tune with your partner, where's Star?" Jackie asked him; Star's absence was undeniably noticeable. She lit up every place she went to, so the mood was considerably dimmer without her in the RV. Not even baby Mariposa's shining smile or her vain efforts to escape Marco's grip could quite replicate the joy Star's prescence brought.

"She's riding with her folks, they're following behind us."

"Why? There's more than enough seats for them here."

"Something about her wanting to ingrain her new brother into their lifestyle or something. They've got horses & fancy carriages, you know."

"Yeah, and she's never invited us to ride in them, has she?" Janna cynically responded, eliciting laughs from the others.

"Maybe it's for the best." Marco offered. "Not everyone likes those carriages, I guess it's better to find out now if Miles like that stuff or if it'll freak him out over the long haul."

==Page Break==

Fortunately, Marco didn't have to worry about that. Miles not only tolerated the carriage ride, he outright thrived it in, bouncing constantly all over the place & going from one side of the carriage to the other, looking out the doorways & gazing at the views presented. All of which was accompanied by hysterical giggling. As for Star & her family, all they could do was witness in awe. "I think he likes this." Star whispered to her mother.