dead man's blood

S1E20

Word Count- 5243

John's POV

I walk up to the familiar black Impala. I smile seeing my boys in the front seat. They've done good work the past year, just the two of them.

I knock on Dean's window, and they both jump, clearly not paying attention. I smile a bit. I lean down so they can see me.

"Dad?" Dean says. I move to the back door. I climb into the backseat of my beloved car. Lotta memories in this backseat... anyways.

"Dad what are you doing here? Are you alright?" Sam asks me. Both boys are turned, facing me in the backseat. I look to Dean.

"Yeah, I'm okay. Look, I read the news about Daniel. I got here as fast as I could." I pause to look at both of them. My, how they've matured. "I saw you two up at his place."

"Why didn't you come in Dad?" Sam questions. Typically Sam. Always has to question.

"You know why. Because I had to make sure you weren't followed by anyone. Or anything. Nice job of covering your tracks by the way."I say, nodding towards Dean.

"Yeah, well we learned from the best." Typical Dean.

"Wait so you came all the way out here for this Elkins guy?" Sam wonders. I nod my head.

"Yeah. He was-- He was a good man. He taught me a hell of a lot about hunting. He taught uh," I clear my throat, not sure how either of them will react. "He taught Annabella a lot as well. Times when I couldn't handle the three of you, he'd watch her for a bit. She wasn't always at Bobby's."

Dean furrows his brow and Sam looks confused.

"You never even mentioned him to us" Sam says.

"We had a-- we had kind of a falling out. I hadn't seen him in years. I think Annabella still kept in touch, but," I trailed off never finishing my sentence. I remember the letter that Dean has in his hand. "I should look at that," I say, gesturing to the letter.

Dean hands me the letter, and I open it. I scan the letter quickly.

"That son of a bitch," I say.

"What is it?' Dean inquires.

"He had it the whole time," I mutter.

"Dad, what?" Sam asks.

I begin to panic internally, but I keep a cool front. "When you searched the place, did you see a gun, an antique, Colt revolver? Did you see it?"

"Uh, there was an old case, but it was empty," Dean recalls.

"They have it," I say. Damn it.

"You mean whatever killed Elkins?"

"We gotta pick up their trail. And I gotta call someone to help." I get out of the car.

"Wait," Sam starts. I lean down into the window. "you want us to come with you?"

"If Elkins is telling the truth we gotta find this gun."