Chapter 6

I tried to control my speed, but I was too worried. No one calls the family unless it's bad. Weres are resilient. Family is called for comfort. No one needs comfort unless it's really bad. Instead of leading me to the City Hall, however, the pull led me west of it. What had happened, I didn't know, but this direction was also away from the hospital. Mom couldn't be seriously hurt if I was being led away from the hospital, right? Unless they were too late?

Shut up, Brain, she's not dead. I would be able to feel it.

I knew I was close when I got to a police roadblock. Pedestrians and news crews stood on the sidewalks and around the barricades. This was obviously big. I let one of the officers know I was called, and he let me right through. It seems they were waiting for me. As I drove down the street, I realized where I was. This wasn't anywhere near my mom because it was the direction of the local major bank, where my dad works. I parked my car on the street at the second roadblock. I figured the 'Tow Zone' sign didn't apply to me at the moment. There was more movement going on here.

Two armored trucks blocked off the road while a short electrified makeshift fence was lain along the square across the street from the bank. Four large Enforcers stood guard at paced lengths holding 40mm double barreled launchers, only I knew the rounds weren't filled with tear gas. First responders parked on the grass within the perimeter, and EMTs prepared their equipment in the back. I was stopped by a guard and a fully covered SWAT officer before being led to the parking lot. Men and women in suits and protective gear rested on two large SUVs with a command center of sorts sandwiched in the middle. People ran back and forth with scrolls of paper, gun cases, and handheld radios. Werewolves tend to speak quietly since we know how good our hearing is, but the amount of voices made a chaotic buzzing. The voice that stood out was that of the alpha himself.

Whenever the Alpha was around, my heart would immediately beat faster. How could it not? He was Alpha. I imagine it's the same feeling as when people find the president attractive. He is your leader. He is the person who swore to protect you and keep you safe. In the Were world, the Alpha is the teenage heartthrob. It didn't hurt that he looked really young for his age. I mean, practically my age; but he was closer in age to my dad. Right, my dad. What is going on?

I did not have to wait long to find out; for once I reached the command center, the alpha look directly at me. I was taken aback by his icy blue stare. I had known he had great eyes; I had even met him a few times, but he never looked as serious as right now. These were the eyes of Alpha the Protector, not Alpha the Comforter. But that was good, wasn't it? He was still protecting someone. As he was waved me over, I looked around for more family members like Sheva, the accountant Dan's daughter, but everyone seemed as if they had a task. So why was I here?

"How are you, Natasha?" Alpha asked me. I thought it might be just a formality, but he was genuinely concerned.

"A bit confused but I'm okay, Alpha," I answered honestly.

"I know. We'll help you out with that in a minute," he told me placing a comforting hand on my shoulder. "What's our status on roadblocks?"

"Roads are closed. We have an outer edge patrol ready to interfere. "

"Where's that ETA?"

"Just arriving now, Alpha," one of the SWAT officers stated. Two ATVs flanked by four large wolves pulled through the set of trees behind the bank's complex. They looked larger and more ferocious than any enforcer I had ever encountered. The smell of dread that settled in the air let me know these people weren't enforcers at all. These were Omega. The four wolves circled the perimeter of the command center before slowly moving back toward the edge of the bank.

Suddenly, along with dread came the smell of fear, anxiety, and desperation. A particular mixture that only comes with the male walking from the black SUV parked to make a final closure to the roadblock: Cain walked calmly but efficiently with Grudge Girl and someone I didn't recognize. This was why he left so suddenly. The alpha called Cain. By the way people spoke (or rather, didn't speak) of Cain, I figured he wouldn't answer an Alpha call no matter how urgent. If they called Cain and he showed, it must be really bad. The stench of anxiety was starting to fall off of me now as well.