Prologue

July 16, 2016 

The sound of women screaming at the top of their lungs, banging on the cells, was intimidating. The odor of urine and shit mixed with period blood, and bad decisions, was overbearing. I begin to question myself 'do I really belong here, did I do the right thing ?'  The more these thoughts simmer in my brain I realized that if I had the opportunity to do it all over again, I would in a heartbeat. If it meant I could protect her.

"Against the wall!" The voice boomed bringing me out of my thoughts

I stood up and faced the wall. My ears perked at the sound of my cell opening. "you ready for today?" The prison guard questioned, "Today what's today ?!" I replied with a confused look on my face. "Today is the day you start your trial." I didn't answer, once again I begin to question myself  'Would anyone  believe me or would they automatically assume they know me...my story?'

The cool metal of the handcuffs sent shivers down my spine. As they led me to the bus the banging on the cells got louder and crude comments were made. The cool breeze calmed my hot skin as we stepped outside. It felt nice to get a fresh breath of air and to not feel stuffed or crowded. The feeling didn't last long as I was roughly shoved into my seat on the stuffed bus filled with inmates awaiting their own trials.

The roads were bumpy and rough. We looked to be in the middle of nowhere. Surrounded by nothing but sand and an occasional tumbleweed. My feet were chained to the floor, not like I was going anywhere anyway. 

I looked to my left and an inmate puts two fingers up to her mouth and flicks her tongue between them. I flinch and face forward deciding it would be best to keep to myself. The bus began to pull into the drop-off zone. The cell began to close not the physical one, but the one in my head. 

That question began to ring in my head "Was I prepared for the fate of my future?"