Chapter 1

"Happy birthday Ashlynn!" The crowd cheers as I enter the ballroom. I smile and feel the heat rising to my cheeks. Masks cover everyone's faces as I glance around. I look up and find my boyfriend, Jameson, smiling at me.

"Happy birthday love." He leans down and kisses my cheek. We walk in farther and find Tony and Pepper, surrounded by everyone else, minus Thor.

"Good evening guys!" I laugh, "What an amazing party."

"Happy birthday!" they say in unison.

"I just want you to know that this was all my idea." Tony says from underneath a plain black mask. "And that you are one of my best friends. You are a best friend to all of us, and we are so thankful to have your ass-kicking self on this team."

"Well thank you, all of you. Tonight is going to be an amazing night, I can just feel it!" I say happily. I glance down at my dress and sigh in content. A deep, sexy red gown flowing to the ground. The top part of the dress is a soft nude color, with red flowers covering it all the way down my arms. A feathery and sparkly black mask covers my eyes.

For a while, I dance around with Jameson, sometimes dancing with Steve, Clint or Tony. I take break and walk over to the punch table, finding doctor Banner watching the crowd, a phantom mask covering half his face.

"Hello Bruce!" I say cheerfully. He looks over and smiles, nodding to me.

"You look incredible tonight." He marvels, taking my dress in. "By far the most beautiful woman in the room."

"Why thank you!" I say, twirling in my spot, hoping it hide my blush. "You enjoying your evening?"

"Well, you're here, of course I am!" He laughs a little. "But I miss the lab too."

"Awe Bruce, you are too kind to me. And I can kinda tell you'd rather be in the lab right now. How's that experiment going?"

"Great, actually. It needed a few hours to sit, so this party came just in time."

"I'm glad. What exactly is it for?" I pour a cup of punch and start sipping.

"Its supposed to be a serum to help, uh, with the other guy. Keep him away and whatnot." He starts fiddling with his wrists.

"Oh, I see. Well, I hope this works out for you!" I smile at him.

We stand quietly for a moment, glancing around the party. I can feel him looking at me every once in a while.

"You boyfriend looks pretty comfortable over there." Bruce nods to a corner and I see him with a red head.

"I guess so." I say through gritted teeth. I then sigh and set down the cup, turning to walk away.

"How do you let him do that?" Bruce calls.

"Its easy," I turn my head and half smile, "I love him to much."

"That bastard doesn't deserve you." Bruce looks down and shakes his head.

Suddenly everyone gasps and starts singing happy birthday. I look over and see a large cake coming out, candles adorning it. I walk up and blow them out, everyone clapping as I do. I get a small piece and stand around with Tony, Pepper, Bruce, Nat, and Clint. I look around for Jameson and see him at the bar, flirting with some brunette. He leans over and whispers something in her ear, and she nods eagerly.

"You want me to go say something?" I hear from behind. I turn and find Steve standing there, frowning at me.

"No Steve, please don't. It's fine. I'll deal with it." I shake my head. Steve sighs, and we turn back to the conversation. Much later, a waiter comes around with more cake. We all grab a slice, and start digging in.