chapter four

*i can't think of one lmfao*————

————

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after thirteen hours of surgery, and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective. The word owes the Avengers an unplayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives... but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Secretary Ross states.

"What word would you use, Mr Secretary?" I reply to his statement.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based enhanced individuals... who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will wherever they choose, and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

Ross used a remote to turn on the screen at the head of the table which I sat at, alongside Steve, Rhodey, Tony, Sam, Wanda, and Vision.

"New York." Videos of us in 2012 play, showing all the destruction we caused in New York that day.

"Washington D.C." Clips were displayed from 2014 when me, Steve, and Sam took down the helicarriers.

"Sokovia." 2015, the year Tony and Bruce accidentally created Ultron. There was so much destruction caused in that city, and we did nothing to clean it up afterwards.

"Lagos." This wasn't even a week ago. I look over to the other side of the table and I can see Wanda feeling very uncomfortable. Steve notices too and orders Ross to turn the screen off, which he does.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution."

Ross is handed a large booklet which he then passes down to Wanda. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by one hundred and seventeen countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organisation. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers we're formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that."

"Tell me, Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of thirty megaton nukes, you can better there's been consequences."

"Are you seriously comparing us to nuclear weapons?" I argue.

"You lost a God. In what way is that a good thing, Agent Romanoff?"