CHAPTER 24

Like every year the auction was a huge success. Kallolini looked very happy as she calculated the amount received. "How do you find such fine pieces every year, KK?" Shomak asked as he praised the effort Kallolini gave towards the auction. With dark black eyes, long wavy hair and a short frame clad in a blue silk saree complimenting her olive skin, Kallolini looked adorable.  

"You need to have an eye for that Shomak. Just as you too can identify something special!" Kallolini winked turning towards Shomak pointing at Ela.  

"I don't think Ragnik would tell you anything then how do you know?" 

"Shomak, you are forgetting that you have another best friend who is a gossip queen," she giggled and went back to wrapping up a few paper works.

"Damn Nishi!" Shomak cursed under his breath walking back to the spot where Ela stood.

Ela wondered why Ragnik stayed away from such a beautiful family. They all seemed to love him immensely, care for him; then what made him so distant?

By the warm welcome Ela and her sisters received from Ragnik's family, it didn't look like it was their first meeting. Much to her surprise, Ela noticed that Kallolini and Mini shared a nice bond. Being Geeta's mother she took special care of her daughter's friends.

For Ela, this was also the first time she was introduced to Mini's friend circle from college. All the girls were praising Mini's aptitude. They were not at all unwelcoming rather the opposite. It was Mini who kept pushing them away, but not anymore. Ela was very happy to see Mini slowly becoming her old self. Even though Mini had disappeared as the auction had started her friends came to speak with Ela. 

"Can we stay a little longer Ela di? Please," Oishi jumped pleading.

"No Oishi, we have to leave now. It's getting late," Ela rubbed her back trying to make her understand. Oishi pouted, reluctantly obeying her elder sister.

"Listen, I think we have to leave without those two," Nishi said as she came back from upstairs.

"What?" Shomak absentmindedly questioned.

"Shomak! I am talking about Ragnik and Mini. I couldn't find them anywhere else and Ragnik's bedroom door was shut. So I am assuming they are together."

"I am not going to go and knock!" Shomak clearly stated.

"Neither I am asking you to!" Nishi sighed, "I think, it would be a wise decision to leave them alone."

"Meaning?"

"Lately Madhu aunty has been mentioned a lot of times. Needless to say, Ragnik is going through a disturbing phase. I believe that Mini's company might pore some sense into his insane mind."

"But Nishi–"

"No, it's for the best. They need time together. Both of them are twisted individuals, and sometimes it's better not to interfere."

Shomak gave it a thought. At first, he wasn't sure leaving them in the Sanyal Mansion. "Had it been Ragnik's own apartment, I wouldn't have protested. But are you sure Manik da and KK would not object?"

"When did they ever object?" Nishi rolled her eyes referring to Ragnik's past escapades.

"Right! I forgot!" Shomak finally agreed.

"What do you think Ela?" Nishi asked.

"I can only see that my sister is happy. That's what matters the most," Ela agreed without any hesitation.

"Okay then, let's leave. Oishi too looks sleepy. I'll leave my car here, so make a little space in yours for me," she patted Shomak's shoulder and went to speak to Kallolini.