Koko

The room was small. Avery winced at the smell inside, a thick aroma of what Avery thought was guilt. Across from him was the desk, Larson's desk, with Larson himself in it, his graying fur smooth and shiny beneath the white lights. In his lap lay a figure, skinny and frail, pretending to have a healthy smile on its face.

On his face.

"Come have a seat, my dear boy," said Larson as he gestured toward the chair on the other side of the oak desk. Avery hesitated for just a moment, then gave in and sunk into the seat.

Larson smiled, softly stroking the figure in his lap. Avery couldn't help but look around the side of the desk: whatever it—he—was, it was forced there by Larson. A pink and gold-studded collar enveloped its neck, reading Koko.

"This is Koko," Larson announced, holding the white feline up onto the table. Koko was kneeling, but Avery could see he would've been almost as tall as Larson if he were standing. And strangely enough, Koko was not dressed. Avery observed closer, his gaze hardening. He's fully grown.

"Larson, why?" Avery began, not taking his eyes from Koko. "What—"

"—is the purpose for this?" Larson cut in abruptly. He left Koko on the table and stood from his seat. "Sometimes, to fix a fracture, the unthinkable must be achieved. At times the consequences will be fatal. I have always been a manipulator of the impossible."

Avery's face shifted; his eyes grew firm. "In English."

Larson turned to the boy and matched the expression. Avery could not resist shrinking away under the man's gaze. "It is as clear as day, is it not? Those who seek truth will receive it. But you, you can't seem to decide between truth and fraud."

Avery looked into his lap, twiddling his thumbs. "My dad."

"Yes! Doctor Adam was a great man, indeed. It was he who fixed me, a weary fracture of a man—and it was he who set me on this path." The wolf leaned in toward Avery, his minty breath filling the air.

With distress in his eyes, Avery looked at the man, and then Koko on the desk who shamefully covered his unmentionables.

"What are you turning them into?"