Chapter 34: Stuck on You

Angel wasn't wrong in saying that he would get comfortable in the hotel again with time. Another few weeks passed with him gradually becoming more self-assured and feeling at home in the safe space the hotel provided, but by the time a few days had passed after the Extermination—which broke Charlie's heart, in spite of the fact that they were able to protect all their patrons—he was in a much better place and acting more or less like himself again.

Unfortunately, it seemed like Alastor was no longer as adept at hiding his feelings as he'd once been—that, or his beau had learned to read him like a book. Regardless, Angel noticed that he was distracted and finally confronted him about it one evening as they were working on dinner. They weren't cooking for everyone in the hotel, considering that was such a huge undertaking and the evening's head chef (Angel) wasn't used to working with crowds. However, at Charlie's suggestion, they had taken to cooking at least one meal together, just the two of them, every few days as a sort of bonding activity. And Alastor was surprised at how much more inclined to talk about his past he was while they were in the kitchen.

"I can tell you're starin' even if I can't see ya," Angel sighed from where he stood at the stove, forcing Alastor to realize he'd paused in his work of slicing vegetables. "Go on, if ya got somethin' to say about how I'm cookin', get it outta your system."

The Radio Demon blanched in embarrassment at that assumption. Was it his fault he'd been taught very strict practices in the kitchen and hesitated to deviate from them? Angel apparently thought so; he'd made no secret of his annoyance with Alastor's very well-intentioned tips and comments about his cooking techniques.

"No, it's nothing like that," Alastor assured him, returning his attention to the bell pepper on his cutting board. Most of their mise en place was already done, but he still needed to finish this before Angel could move on with his cooking.

"Then what is it?" his beau insisted, stealing a glance at him while removing one batch of browned chicken thighs from the pan and starting another. Having four arms certainly came in handy—ha!—in this situation. "You've been actin' weird for a while now. You still worried about me or somethin'?"

"Not exactly." Well, he wasn't wrong, but he also didn't know the full story. Yet.

"I dunno how many times I hafta tell ya, I'm doin' better now."

"No, I know, cher," Alastor answered quietly. "And I'm glad you are. Of course I am."

It had been nearly two months now since Angel's abduction at Valentino's hands, and it seemed very clear that, of the two of them, Alastor was the one still dwelling on it. Which was a good thing! He didn't want his beau living in fear. But he'd still spent the entire time racking his brain for a safe way to suggest making their bond official. If Angel wanted answers...maybe now was the time to broach the subject.

"It's not like it could happen again." Gesturing to the unblemished skin of his throat, Angel reminded him, "Val's got no power over me anymore. As long as you're around, I'm gonna be fine."

"But that condition is part of the problem," Alastor pointed out, bringing over his plate of sliced vegetables for whenever Angel needed them. "Even if Valentino has no right to claim you again, that doesn't mean he won't try. Down here, there's no way to be sure of your safety without question, because there will always be demons who are stupid or reckless or vindictive enough to challenge it."

Angel frowned into the pot he was working with as he removed his second batch of chicken and dumped in the vegetables instead. After several seconds of furiously debating with himself, Alastor eventually continued, "There's only one thing that's meaningful to every denizen of Hell and commands their respect."