Chapter 3: Win Some to Lose Some

Goose trotted along the fence, carefully picking his way around their wooden spikes.

He could hear Flint groaning, although Winnie was bouncing along just fine.

Goose halted, Flint nearly stumbling into him.

“Here we are.” He flicked his tail, hopping into a plain yard, no bushes, plants, or any owner decorations.

Winnie perked up, excited. “Oo! We’re visiting Jinx!”

“Mhm, she’d be sure to go.” Goose yawned, making his way to the door, Winnie hard on his paws.

Flint hesitated but would hop down, joining Goose and Winnie.

“Jinx! Come out! I know you’re there!” Goose yowled, his ears perked as he heard a faint voice.

“I’m coming!” the voice called from inside the house, and then a head poked out of the cat-door.

“Oh, heya Goose, Winnie. And uh- have we formally met?” The calico stared at the trio, confused.

“The name’s Flint.” Flint sat down on a rough patch of grass.

“Where’s Petal?” Winnie perked up, studying Jinx.

“She’s doing what she calls ‘an ideal way to get attention from a busy owner’, and so far it hasn’t worked.” Jinx sighed, Winnie giggling as she sat down.

At that moment, a noise came crashing from inside the house, and a startled tortoiseshell-she came bursting through the cat-door, an angry owner blocking it after her. “Furballs!” She wailed.

“Was owner doing the thing with the papers again?” Jinx perked up, grinning.

“Yeah..” Petal mumbled.

“Did you accidentally step in the black-print and get it all over them?”

“Yeah..” Petal sat down next to Jinx.

“So, are these your friends you're always chattering on and on about?” Petal teased moments after.

“W- Petal!” Jinx wailed.

“So? What’re your names, strangers?” Petal curled her tail over her paws, studying the cats.

“I’m Goose, that’s Winnie, and that’s Flint,” Goose spoke, flicking his tail at the others as he said their names.

“Oo, Flint. He’s new.” Petal yawned.

“So, what do you guys need?” Jinx flicked her ears, trying to stay on point.

“Oh! Right. We’re here to ask if you are going to come on a journey with us, to rebuild the old tribes our moths’ talked about. We’ll explain more on the way to the others,” Goose gave a weak grin, studying Jinx and Petal.

“Woah, why should I- we go?” Jinx tilted her head, waiting for their response.

“We’re going to save all of life. Um, but you’d probably get injuries or die on the way... I- I shouldn’t have asked, sorry.” Goose mumbled, his tail flicked.

“Heck yeah!” Jinx leaped up, quickly joining their side.

“Like, as in leave?” Petal seemed hesitant.

“Yeah, as in leave. To live in the wild, uphold a legacy, strike fear into our enemies.” Goose switched from the near-death topic, giving his chest a few quick licks.

Flint nodded, and Jinxs’ eyes seemed to light up even more.

“Nope. No way, I’m perfectly fine here with my owner. And Jinx, are you crazy!? You’ll die out there,” Petal looked at all of them like they were insane.

Goose sighed, “Well, we can’t convince them all.”

“Yeah, well we should keep going. We can’t waste time when they’re getting angrier by the moment.” Flint huffed as Winnie and Goose nodded.

Petal let out a snort, “Go be some dumb ‘tribe’ then, for all I care.”

“Bye-Bye, Petal! I’ll be sure to visit you!” Jinx called out as the group leaped on top of the fence, continuing their journey.

Petal would give a disgusted look, turning around to yowl at the door.