12 - The Beauty of the Sea

I know I won't be much help when it comes to moving. I can try as hard as I want and be as confident in my surroundings as a sighted person, but when there are that many people moving in and out of a house, carrying heavy, large, and even fragile items, I know it's not safe for me even to make an attempt. I would only get in the way and maybe get hurt or possibly cause an injury to someone else.

There are other ways I can help, though. I offer to watch the children. I love kids, so I know I'll have fun. There's Bale, the two-year-old, Berns's son, Anya's little girl, Himiko, Lei, my neighbors' child, Harper and Sarah, the twins, sisters to one of the school children, and Mimo, another sibling of a school-goer. The kids are a bit of a handful for a single person, especially a blind one, so Berns' wife, Akela, helps me watch them.

She's quiet but very kind. She knows how to stop the twins' crazy antics, for the most part, having watched them many times before, but these two are definitely a troublesome pair this evening.

They prove just how naughty they can be tonight, and with my hands full because of Lei's young age, Akela finds herself running around chasing them a few too many times. Leaving me, a fully sightless man, alone, baby in lap, and three young children running around.

Thankfully for me, Tinsel is a great helper and takes it upon herself to assist me in watching the two more independent and somewhat wild youngsters while Hop entertains the oldest child, Mimo.

Sashi drops Sardee off to help out after a while. The sweet Ice-Type Ninetails has always been fantastic with children, and she eagerly takes to watching them with much happiness in her soft cry. Little Mimo eagerly takes up playing with the new Pokémon.

With her own charge displaced, Hop wanders off to supervise the ongoings of the moving party.

Either way, poor Akela seems to be having a far rougher time of it with the twins. After the third time, the girls escape into the house and nearly cause a crash when they run up the stairs while four of the guys are trying to carry up a rather large and heavy bit of furniture.

With the help of Sam and Hala, the Island Kahuna, a word I had only recently learned about, the two strong-bodied individuals are able to, thankfully, prevent any injuries or damages.

"Girl's," their mother says sternly as they laugh joyously while she carries them back, "if I hear you have caused anyone any more trouble, I will pack us up, and we will go straight home. And," she adds in a finalizing tone. "You'll be grounded for a week. Have I made myself clear?"

At this, the laughter dies down as I hear their mother set them on the ground in front of me. "Yes, momma," They say in unison, sounding, for once, obedient and somber.

"I'm sorry," Akela says shyly, sounding embarrassed and ashamed. "I shouldn't have taken my eyes off of them. I know how much trouble they can get into, but they've never acted up this bad for me before."

"Oh, don't worry, dear. My girls have their good days and bad. This just seems to be the latter of the two." Their mom says kindly, and I hear her patting the younger mother reassuringly on her arm. "If you two need help watching them, you only have to give me a shout." I hear her walk off, mumbling softly to herself about the troubles of twins with a small laugh.

Burnet joins us, worried about the commotion and wanting to free up my hands of Lei. I hear her open a jar of food to feed her son. With her help, Akela and I each take one twin and keep them entertained for a bit.

"I think I have an idea," I say, a sudden thought coming to light. "Tinsel, could you run inside and find my bag for me?" I ask her.

The Sylveon gives off a small chirp of protest, unhappy to be removed from her playing with Himiko, Bale, and Mimo. She listens, though and, I soon hear her paws patter off as she leaves on her mission.