Life on Caladan

I OWN NOTHING!!!! The original characters are mine but that's it. I got inspired by this movie and I just wanted to write something fun.
_____________________________
An entry from Lady Minerva's private journal

Life on Caladan has been utter bliss. True to his word, Gurney saw to training Paul when he turned 5 yrs old and allowed Qadira to watch at the tender age of 3. When she turned 5, she was more than eager to begin. Most of the time it was teaching safety, etiquette in the training room, and basic blocking techniques. He wanted them to master basics first and it was more entertaining than actually instruction watching small children "spar". At this stage he didn't see the use in pushing their limits. They were eager to learn and listened completely. That's all he could ask for.

For my part, I found creative ways to teach my daughter The Voice and the Fremen ways. What better way to teach her to control tone and pitch by learning to sing? A beautiful art for any Lady Atreides to learn to be sure. What better way to enhance flexibility and control of one's body than through dance? Another art a Lady of a Great House should know. As for learning Fremen ways, there was no better disguise than playtime. I showed her how to walk across the great dunes with a fun game of Mimic or Sandworms in the Floor. The history of our people was told before bed. It fills my heart with joy to see her eyes shine with wonder hearing tales of Shai-Hulud and how the Fremen can ride the great sandworms through the desert. She's a curious little thing, always asking for more stories of the desert and the Fremen who dwell there. When she's older I'll tell her the truth behind these stories and teachings. But for now I'll let her enjoy a peaceful childhood free from hunger and thirst and Harkonnon blades. At least for the present.
************************
It was a special day for all of Caladan for Selene Atreides was turning 15 yrs old. The people held a great festival throughout the planet lighting fireworks in honor of their Duke's daughter. As was tradition, the Atreides family would travel to the largest cities over a few days and close the celebrations at the Atreides palace.

Leto smiled as he watched his daughter observe her reflection in the floor length mirror. She made silly faces and twirled around in her new dress of Atreides green and black. He chuckled as he watched her. Such innocence, he thought. Selene had grown into a beautiful young lady. Her once unruly curls now calmed into silky waves that tickled her waist. Her dark eyes she inherited from him but held the same analytical gaze her mother gave when observing a crowd. He thought about how fast time passed by. It felt like yesterday that she was a little awkward and clumsy as she practiced her dancing or sang off key as she practiced her singing. Now when she danced with such grace that one thought she was gliding. Her singing was so clear and light that even Gurney shed a tear.

Selene turned at the sound of his perfectly shined boots click on the titled floor. Her mother and Gurney taught her to pay attention to the sounds around her and she knew her father's gait. Her father and firm steps that showed his confidence and authority. Jessica's steps were more light and swift. Paul's steps were light like his mother's but at a more leisurely pace. Gurney's were heavy thuds that echoed on the tiled floors. Duncan Idaho always had a skip in his step that echoed his jovial nature. Her mother's, however, were odd. They were always irregular when she was alone in the halls but had a sure crisp steps when walking with others.

Selene smiled and gave playful twirl for her father. "What do you think of my new dress, Dad?"

"It's beautiful, darling." He paused and surveyed her. "But it's missing something..."

"It is?" She turned back to the mirror eyeing her reflection worriedly.

Leto chuckled and pulled a silk pouch from his pocket. He motioned for her to come closer as he revealed the treasure inside.