16

"I think I'm going to die," Berry confessed. I glanced her way nervously as we unpacked her bags. I unfolded her shirts and hung them up next to my own. "Okay, that was dramatic," she confessed. "I just hate being away from him."

"Who?" I asked.

She looked at me in confusion. "Eric."

"Oh," I realized. "I'm so sorry. Yeah. You guys were together for two weeks and he just had to leave."

She nodded. "I mean, I'm not going to die. I'm fine. I just really miss him. And the pack. Everyone is doing so much better. You should see our fighters. And that special squad. All females. Totally wicked. Killer. Love them. Eric did a really good job training them; he's going to miss the pack in Cedar. Hopefully not as much as he misses me. How about you?"

I snapped up and looked at Berry who was looking at me expectantly. "Yeah, I missed you. I was literally counting the days."

She rolled her eyes. "No. Don't you miss Damien?"

"Of course," I said. But then I paused. I missed the comfortability of my old life, but I didn't have a huge gap in my heart like Berry. "Well, not as much as you. But we have been apart for longer. I barely know the guy. It gets easier."

"Thank goodness," she sighed. "You had quite the scare this morning."

I nodded. "The Eyeless. Eric told you about them?"

Berry nodded. "He was pretty adamant than I stayed in the base at all times. If this wasn't the one place that we would be safe from the king, he wouldn't have put us anywhere close to here."

I nodded. "Yeah."

"I mean—"

"Damien didn't tell me that," I said suddenly. Berry met my eyes in confusion. "He just dropped me off."

She leaned back and folded up a now-empty bag. "I'm sure he had his reasons."

"Yeah," I agreed slowly, hanging up another shirt. I saw my yellow dress in the back of the closet. I had only worn it once. It felt wrong to wear it now.

"Have you flown?" Berry asked, excitedly, changing the topic.

I nodded and burst into a smile. "Yeah. It is the most freeing feeling I've ever had. The wind under my wings is... breathtaking."

Berry smiled. "I'm sorry you never shifted. But I'm grateful you got something." I nodded.

I glanced around the room. "I feel like we're kids having a sleepover."

"If you put shaving cream in my ice cream again, I will throw a fit," Berry said seriously. With that, we both broke out into giggling laughter. "Tomorrow Amy asked if I could help her in the clinic. What are you up to?"

"Fighting," I said. "Or trying to. I figure I might be able to make a decent watchguard."

"You're more than your wings."

"I know," I said. I caught sight of her neck. "Berry?! He marked you?!" She burst into a huge grin.

"Yeah. Well, after I marked him first."

"I can't believe you," I said.

Suddenly, Berry's face went blank and she stared behind me in fear. I whirled around.

Damien.

"Damien?" I asked incredulously.

He broke into a grin when we saw me. I raced over to him and dove into his arms.

"Damien, how are you here?" I asked.

He looked over at Berry. "Berry, could you give us a moment?" he asked.

She nodded and scurried out of the room. Once the door closed, Damien pulled me into his arms and breathed deeply.

"I miss you so much," he said. "I shouldn't be here. But, I needed to see you." I pulled back and saw the heavy bags under his eyes.

"Are you okay?" I asked. "Is Redwood okay?"

He nodded. "Everyone is fine. I overestimated how well I could be able to do without you," he said. He held me at an arm's length. "You look...good," he said. I smiled, glowing in his praise.

"It's easier to eat here," I confessed. 

He leaned in for a kiss and gently brushed my cheek. "You are beautiful," he whispered in my ear. I blushed. He leaned down and kissed me, pulling me closer against him. He began to walk forward and I followed suit until the back of my knees hit my bed and I fell backward.

I blinked in shock, but Damien seemed to know this would happen. He hopped onto the bed and straddled me, sending butterflies from my stomach to the tips of my fingers. He placed his hands on either side of my head and leaned in, dominantly taking my lips into his own, fighting for power. I moved my hands to run my hands through his hair.

I leaned up, hoping to flip him onto his back. He quickly shoved me back down and held me with a single hand. "I am on top," he growled, nipping at my ear. I tried again to maneuver him off of me. "Careful, or I will have to punish you for that."

I couldn't help myself. I moved my hands out of his hair and threw them around his neck, bringing him down to me as I tried to move out from under him. I giggled and he growled into my neck as he didn't move an inch.

"Surely," he whispered seductively, "that was on purpose," he said. He unlocked my hands from behind his neck and pinned them above my head with one hand. "Consider yourself punished. Next time, it will be more constrictive," he said, leaning in and kissing me deeply.

I wiggled. Despite the lack of freedom, I couldn't say I didn't like the feeling. His free hand secured itself around my neck and he squeezed lightly.

"You're mine, Naomi. Mine." He sucked on my throat and let go of my throat. I took a deep breath, desire clouding my thoughts. I leaned back, exhausted. He kissed me again as my eyes drooped. "I have to go now. I'll be back soon, my angel." He kissed my eyelids and I felt him rise off of me. "Sleep tight," he said.

The lingering energy between us turned to a warm comfort that lulled me to sleep.