Needy Prat

1581 words 

Last chapter!

Merlin's POV 

"You're coming back, right?" Arthur asked for the fifth time in the past two minutes. I tried not to get annoyed. It was my own fault that he wasn't sure if I would come back every time I left. I would never forgive myself for leaving him alone all night. I sat outside his door the whole night. Listening to his screams was my punishment for leaving. I hated that I had put him in so much pain, and I was willing to make it up to him any way possible, even at the cost of my own heart.

"Yes, Arthur. I'm just going to talk with Gaius for a bit. I'll bring lunch when I come back. I promise." Arthur's bottom lip trembled and my heart shattered some more. The spell had entirely worn away Arthur's natural emotions mask and it left him vulnerable and open. I had to protect him, reassure him. I ran my hand threw his hair and cupped his chin while I kissed him. Kissing Arthur was every bit as wonderful as I had always imagined. The only thing missing was Arthur caring about me, instead about what I could give him. I left him and tried to shake the melancholy thoughts out of my head as I walked to Gaius's chambers.

Gaius and I spent about half an hour absorbed in his books, getting nowhere outside the general cliche 'true love' nonsense. I left frustrated, but I tried to let go of it before I got back to Arthur. It wouldn't do to lash out again and accidentally hurt him. I brought up our lunch and entered Arthur's room. Arthur was pacing, wrapping and unwrapping my neckerchief around his hand. He stopped when I set down the food.

"Come eat Arthur," I said as I pulled his chair out for him. His eyes turned begging.

"Can you hug me first?" I didn't reply, just wrapped him up in my arms. He laid his head on my shoulder. We stood there for a few minutes before he sat down at the table. I stood close, switching between stealing food from his plate and leaning on his shoulders.

Arthur and I were both quiet for the rest of the day, only engaging in light conversation. Neither of us wanted a repeat of yesterday. "Merlin?"

"Yes, Arthur?"

"I'm tired."

"Ok, let's get you ready for bed then." After I got Arthur ready for bed, we laid down and I pulled the covers over us. Arthur laid his head on my chest and I rubbed his shoulders to comfort him as it got closer to midnight. As it had now for the seventh time, midnight struck, and Arthur screamed.

Seconds turned to decades as Arthur wailed in agony. After a century, Arthur's cries turned to whimpers. "Worse tonight. Much worse." I pulled him in close.

"It's over now, Arthur. You can get some sleep." He nodded and curled in closer to me.

We fell asleep, only to be woken again an hour later. Arthur was screaming again. "Arthur! What's going on?" Arthur's screaming stopped as suddenly as it started.

"I don't know. It feels like midnight all over again." I drew in a shaky breath and clung to Arthur.

"Let's just hope it's a fluke." Arthur nodded in agreement.

"Let's hope."

Hope, apparently, didn't feel like favoring them. They woke again the next hour.

"Ok, something's up. This shouldn't be happening," I said.

"You're telling me!" Arthur said. "I'm the one suffering here." I rolled my eyes.