Chapter 2 Torn

CHAPTER 2

His P.o.v

Nine days. That’s how long my wife had been missing. It was over the papers, the news, posters and still we had not the slightest clue. It was like being sucked out of all air and being left like that. Having to struggle to live with that burden, I was missing my air, my love, my Audry.

“Are you hungry? Tay went to go get us food.” My best friend, Sam asked me. I shook my head; I hadn’t had a real meal since she went missing. It wasn’t fair, wherever she was; whoever was torturing her wasn’t giving her meals, why should I eat? It wasn’t fair.

“You gotta eat.” He said silently taking a seat next to me on the dinning room table.

“I’m not hungry” I murmured.

“Clayton, they’re doing the best they can. There isn’t much proof of foul play…”

“Are you suggesting something else Sam?” I raised my voice.

“No I’m just saying they’re trying.”

“It sounds more like you’re telling me she ran away herself and left me behind!” I shouted getting up from my seat.

“No! I just meant…wait where are you going?” he asked as I grabbed my keys and headed to the door.

“I don’t know, run away maybe.” I snorted slamming the door shut and pulled up my hoodie. The weather had dropped recently. It was often cold, it even started to snow. It was as if the earth knew one of its flowers was missing. A spark had died, my wife was that spark. I shoved my hands into my pockets and continued walking down Dally Lane. Every person I passed gave me a sympathetic smile or a comforting comment. I thanked them silently and kept on my way. I must have looked pathetic. Known as that poor guy who lost his wife. That one guy who couldn’t even keep his wife safe. His own freaking wife. They must have suspected me of something. Probably accused me behind those fake smiles of beating her, but I would never do something like that. She was my everything. I stopped in front of a window shop. Sally’s. She loved it there. A sad smile formed on my lips looking through the glass at the funky dresses on the models.

            “Look in here!” she pulled at my arm excitedly dragging me into the tenth store today.

“This isn’t very wedding like.” I chuckle but complied her requests. I just wanted her happy, seeing her smile that made everything okay. She could light up the city during a shortage.

“Look at this one!” she squealed pulling off a white and black ruffle dress a rack.

“You are not getting married in that!” I laughed as she ran towards the dressing room.

“Oh but I am!” she replied in a sing a song voice. So silky smooth, angelic, perfect.

“It’s not traditional!” I laughed.

“I’m not a traditional bride!” She called back from the dressing room.

“You can say that again.” I laughed taking a seat in front of the room she was in.

“Oh you so are going to love it!” she shouted.

“Oh really? Let’s see.”

“Ta da!” she swung back the curtain to find her wearing her original tee and jeans.

“What happened to the dress?”

“It’s bad luck for the husband to see the dress on.” She teased walking over to me.

“What happened to not being traditional?” I teased slipping my hand in hers.

“Oh it has its exceptions, like not seeing the dress on.” She smiled making line.

“Or not seeing each other the night before the wedding…or the husband paying the gown.” She giggled handing me the bundle of fabric.

“This is coming out of your budget once we’re married.” I joked kissing her forehead.

“Oh please! I’m a be the money maker of the family!”

“Oh I beg to differ.” I laughed handing over her gown to the cashier.

            And her dress it was. She looked absolutely stunning. My heart almost fell out of my throat when I saw her walk down the aisle. Absolutely beautiful. I forced myself to tear away from the window and kept on walking. I could still remember her laugh. It echoed through my ears. So sweet, loud, and carefree. Her laugh. Tears swam in my eyes and it wasn’t long before they picked up the pace and I was crying. They ran down my cheeks leaving wet salty trails behind. Without being able to see I sat at the edge of the block and buried my head in my knees. I wanted nothing more than to hold her in my arms, stroke her hair, and tell her repeatedly how much she meant to me.

“Where are you?” I sobbed pictures of her slide showing through my mind. Flashes of every happy memory we shared. Her innocent purified voice filled my lungs.

            “I am finding out that maybe I was wrong, that I’ve falling down and I can’t do this alone. Stay with me this is what I need please. Sing us a song and we’ll sing it back to you.” I sang quietly just for a second waiting for her to chime in, but that wasn’t going to happen. I just hoped wherever she was, she was ok and alive.

“Sam, I’m back.” I called closing the door to the living room. The dining room was empty except for bags of McDonalds thrown across the table.

“Sam?” I called.

“In here!” he yelled from my bedroom. I hadn’t been in there since she was gone. It hurt too much. It brought pain, memories, tears.

“You coming!?” Taylor yelled. I nodded even though he couldn’t see me. I stepped in facing them, they were watching the TV.

“What are you guys watching?” I asked taking a seat on the floor beside them. There was a news reporter talking about something they had found by Point Bridge.

“What is thi---“I stopped in mid sentence as her name flashed on the screen.

“You don’t have to watch if you—”

“Put up the volume!” I shouted and Taylor listened.

“Last night the body of 21 year old Audry Nicole Williams was found located beneath the Point Bridge. Investigators have rooted this as self-suicide and she has been confirmed to have died of suffocation, police are still—“I turned the channel off.

“Clayton I’m so---“I shook my head.

“She’s dead.” I whispered. “My wife is dead.” I whispered quietly getting up from the floor and walked into the restroom despite Taylor and Sam’s calls. She was gone, she killed herself.

“Why?” I cried sliding to the floor in tears. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry if I hurt you. I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you needed me.” I sobbed talking to no one but myself. “I’m sorry!” I shouted throwing my wedding ring at the mirror. It shattered. Falling with such force, clearly beyond repair. Into thousand of little pieces smashing onto the floor, much like my heart.