12 | we don't decide our fate

Natasha was gone

Natasha was gone.

All that was left in her place was a note.

The scene was eerily calm as Steve stepped into the hospital room, his hands shaking and his heart pounding in his chest. The doctors and nurses had apologized over and over again, but it didn't matter.

It wouldn't bring her back.

His world had stopped turning, grief and sadness consuming him in its entirety. His knees threatened to crumble underneath him, and it was as if he could feel his heart physically breaking. The love of his life was gone, and he never wanted to live in a world without her. He knew he had failed her, that he never should've left her side because he could've protected her. "I just don't understand how she was taken..." He finally spoke, his throat tight with emotion.

"We don't either. After she was in stable condition, the nurse left the room for only a few minutes. We're working with security, but the cameras were tampered with." The doctor said quietly as if he didn't want to upset Steve.

It wasn't worth his time to blame the doctors or the nurses at the hospital. He had no one but himself to blame. He closed his eyes, wiping the tears from his cheeks as he inhaled deeply. He had to pull himself together and stand tall. He had to be the soldier he was destined to be and fight in the dark, even when he couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. He had to fight for Natasha, to hunt down whoever dared to take her away from him.

He knew Natasha would never give up on him, and he'd never give up on her.

Walking up to the bed, he took the note in his hand and turned it over between his fingers. In handwriting that wasn't Natasha's, his name was written in cursive on the front. It was as if they were taunting him, that whoever had taken her was imploring him to come after them like they knew he would.

Why had they even left him a note?

Surely, it wouldn't tell him where she was and reading it would just break his heart even more. It was a cruel gesture, one that he wouldn't forget nor forgive.

Just as he started to unfold it, there was a voice in the doorway that startled him.

"I think we have some answers." Fury said as he stepped into the room.

He was the last person Steve expected to see.

• • •

Dear, Steve Rogers

By now, I'm sure you've figured out who my daughter is, and I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted her dead. I wouldn't be surprised if you tried to hunt her down with the Avengers as your backup. I wouldn't blame you, Steve. After all you've been through, you didn't deserve this. You didn't deserve to be lied to. You deserved better. But what you may not understand is that Natasha didn't decide her fate. None of us did. She didn't have choices. The Red Room controls their agent like puppets, and it's our lives on the line if we don't successfully complete the missions assigned to us.