AFTERWORD

Uh, yeah. So...that was a dark ending.

I'd say sorry about that, but it's just how I am sometimes. It'll make the sequel interesting at least.

Dead Ice came out of a very weird place.

I wrote the original Necropolis trilogy over the course of 2013. Around the time I wrapped up Necropolis 2 in October, WattPad dropped a new policy on us. R-rated stuff would basically get buried. Naturally, my stuff was rated R. So I kinda freaked out.

After considering the situation for awhile, I came up with the idea to create a sampler story. I was inspired by J. A. Konrath's & Blake Crouch's horror novella Truck Stop. They both write about serial killers and those who deal with them, and they co-wrote the novella and released it for free and it got them both like massive exposure. I was hoping for something similar.

Dead Ice was inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing, and also my 2013 rewrite of Dreary (my first ever fan fiction, written all the way back in 2004 and which was inspired by, you guessed it, John Carpenter's The Thing), which you can read here on this site. I planned out a relatively simple nine-chapter novella that would explore a slower-paced zombie horror in the snow, featuring an unlikely protagonist and a bleak ending.

I wrote it over the course of a few months, got it up, and...ultimately it didn't really seem to matter.

I decided to just write it and Necropolis 3 uncut, rate them PG-13, and see what happened.

Naturally, nothing really happened, and I ended up with a sad little novella about zombies and survival and about finding the courage to do what needs doing even after it feels like life has curb-stomped you into a urinal.

Yeah, Marshall died in the end, but others survived. His sacrifice was not in vain.

Dead Skies is up next.