Prologue

"Come inside immediately," my mother yelled. She is standing at the back door to the castle. "Why, Mama?" I asked as I ran towards her. She snatched me and dragged me into the castle. The guards shut the door.

"What happened?" As she hauled me up the stairs to my room, I enquired. As soon as we go inside the room. She sat me down and broke down in tears."

"Sweetie, listen to me. If anything, and I mean anything happens to me and your father. You will claim the crown. I don't care if you are sixteen years old. You will take the crown. Also, you may hate your father for this, but he has someone set for you to marry. Trust me it keeps you in power," She explains.

I let out a laugh.

"What kind of joke is this? I'm not marrying a stranger. If anything happens, yes, I will take the crown. I won't marry someone. I want people to come to me and ask. I want to pick someone myself," I said.

"Honey, you can't. This isn't something you can argue with me about. I doubt he will change his mind. The man is a king. He isn't a stranger. You've met and heard of him," She started to raise her voice.

Who could she be talking about? I don't know many people, let alone men. The only man I know that isn't family is Alaric. He is like my best friend. He was just crowned king of his country a few months ago. He is a great leader. He would entirely reject my father's plan to marry me off when he passes.

Alaric helped change my father's mind when it came to marrying my younger cousin in the family. Since my father is king, he can control people's marriages in the family and the kingdom. Maybe Alaric can talk my father out of this.

"I'm going to talk to him," I stood up.

"He is busy," she said, stopping me from walking out. "I don't care," I said walking out. My bedroom is next door to my father's work office. He states I should go to bed hearing how leaders talk.

"Father." I barged into his room. 

"You can't marry her off to some, asshole, it's dangerous," I heard Alaric's voice. 

"Watch it, prick," An unknown voice spoke out. I swivel my head to look at the person who just spoke. It's a man. He appears to be two to four years older than myself. He stands shirtless, revealing all of the drawings on his body. His eyes are a shade of grey that is neither too dark nor too bright. They're simple grey. 

He had a scar running on the left side of his face on his eye. I've never met him before, but it seemed to suit him exceptionally adequately.

He whips his head in my direction, his eyes widening as he takes in startled form. We stare at each other for a long moment. Not saying anything until I hear Alaric's voice boom once again. "You know I'm right, Neklan."

"You may be right Alaric but this has nothing to do with you. My decision is final. This will benefit you in the long run, Reya. You just have to trust me." As the words left my father's lips Alaric cursed and abruptly stormed from the room. Tears welled up in my eyes as I stood there gaping at my father.

"How would it benefit me if I'm miserable?" I said, and the grey-eyed man snickered. I sent him a glare. 

"She doesn't know, does she?" said the grey-eyed man. I took a few steps back, astonished by his deep yet firm voice. I wasn't expecting him to say anything. "What don't I know?" I inquired, returning my gaze to my father. He diverted his focus away from me and out the window.

When he chose not to respond. I became consumed by rage. He can't believe he's going to form a matrimonial arrangement without first consulting with me. "Father, I asked you a question," I said, raising my voice at him.