Part 5

"Hey!" Lysandra yells, running after me. "I've been meaning to talk to you."

I turn around. "What's up?"

"Why the f*** are you breaking Fenrys' heart? If you're going to let him down, do it gently!" she says, gesturing wildly.

"What are you talking about, Lys? Why would I need to 'let him down'?" I ask, eyebrows scrunched up.

She stops, her eyes wide. "You don't know?"

"...What don't I know?"

Lysandra shakes her. "Nevermind, Dorian."

"Lys!"

"It doesn't matter."

"It obviously matters if you're yelling and flailing about. Just tell me." I say, crossing my arms. "You do know it's treason to keep things from a king."

"You promise not to overreact, right? You promise?"

"Sure. I promise."

She glances down the hall before leaning close. "Fenrys likes you. Like romantically."

I step back suddenly. "What are you talking about? He doesn't like me. We're not even really good friends!"

"Believe me, I know it when I see it." Lysandra shakes her head. "I heard you guys last night. When he said he thought of you while you were away, he meant as more than a friend."

My eyes widen. "And I made some random joke about boba tea, like an idiot. He probably thinks I'm not interested. Gods, I'm a horrible person!"

"Are you interested?"

"What?"

"Dorian, are you interested in him?"

I blink. "Ummm... I don't really know?"

"You don't know?" she says, looking into my soul.

"I guess... he's nice?"

"He's nice?"

"What do you want me to say, Lysandra?"

"Do you like him or not?"

Running a hand through my hair, I look down. "Yeah... I do. But after Manon, after Sorscha... I don't think I'm ready to put myself out there again."

She smiles sadly. "I understand. But I think you need to tell him that."

"Are you sure?"

"He won't know to give you time if you don't tell him," she says while nudging my arm. "Just explain your situation to him, and then he won't push you."

"I guess... You're sure about this, Lysandra?"

"Yes." She lays a warm hand on my shoulder. "Tell him and he'll understand. Just don't leave him hanging the way you did last night."

I sigh. "Okay. I'll tell him."