4 | After Lesson Convos

RJ

Feb 4, 2014, Tuesday.

It is early in the morning, and everyone is waiting around the benches next to the quadrangle for the assembly call. Leaning against the table of my bench, I stare at the one across the way. Chloe's friends, Emma and Adrian, are sitting next to each other, scribbling furiously while pulling at their hair. There is still time until the morning assembly call, so I'm guessing they are trying to complete the Chemistry homework that is due today.

Chloe, however, is nowhere to be seen.

A frown spreads across my face. Yesterday was weird. Too weird. What was meant to be a fun weed-testing experience turned into a frustrating mystery. The thought of Chloe, or anybody in the class, needing money so badly that they would work at a place like that kept me up all night. It isn't right. She's only a student. An eighteen-year-old student in Junior College.

"Hey." Jon slumps next to me. His leg slams into mine, and I remember that I'm wearing a skirt and need to keep my legs closed. As I shuffle on my seat, he holds out a cup of iced coffee. "For you. It's black like your soul."

I snort in response and grab the disposable cup. Glancing towards him, I notice the rest of our clique gathered at another bench. They are all holding similar cups of coffee, probably courtesy of Jon as well. Audrey is spraying a sweaty—and whining—Logan down with an endless amount of deodorant, while Huimin is chuckling by the side.

"Thanks." I take a few sips before letting out a breath of relief. "Argh, I needed this."

An amused smile tugs at Jon's lips. He leans back and spreads his hands across the table that we're leaning on. "I don't even know why you're in school sia. The last time I went to see Markus, I couldn't even get out of bed. I had to call in sick and everything."

"It's okay lah, I didn't smoke that much."

"So why are you staring at them like that?" Jon asks, motioning to Emma and Adrian with his head.

"Huh?" I blink. The duo is now arguing about a question. Their squabble is so intense that Emma even knocks Adrian's glasses away from his face at one point. I rub my eyes. "Oh, nothing lah. I'm just zoning out."

Jon raises his eyebrows and gives me a once-over. "What time did you get home yesterday?"

"Like, two a.m.? I almost got caught by my mother sia."

"Oh shit, really ah?"

"Yeah. I swear that woman doesn't ever sleep lah. Can't even get some peace on a Monday night. Cannot stand it sia."

There is a short pause before Jon mutters, "You know, your mother is scary as fuck."

I laugh. I am about to comment something about his cowardice when I spot Chloe from the corner of my eyes. She is next to her friends now. Her hair is sweaty and messy as if she sprinted to school on foot. I hear her loud squeals of greeting, followed by her "This is due today?" exclamation.

Without her thick makeup from yesterday, the dark circles under her eyes are prominent. Once again, guilt pierces my heart. How did she get home last night? The trains were no longer in operation by the time I left, and she left much later than I did. Maybe I should have offered her a ride in my cab or something. I should have done more to help...

"Eh, RJ." Jon's voice snaps me out of my spiraling thoughts. "You zoning out again sia."

"Huh? Oh, yeah, sorry..." I quickly shift my eyes away from the trio. People at the other benches are either talking, dozing off, or rushing out homework. Logan is now sitting on top of the table, flanked by Audrey and Huimin. They are watching something on his phone and chortling like maniacs, but I can tell Logan is sneaking a few glances at Chloe.