Chapter IV - A Million Worlds Apart

Three days. You had waited patiently for three days, hidden in the shadows and ready for the attack. It was the element of surprise that would help achieve your goal, you knew for sure the old widow would surely try to escape if she knew you were there with Yelena.

It was three days of analyzing her every movement before you were ready to strike. Other widows had implanted bombs inside the apartment, and Yelena was ready to take her down. You were the backup. In case she started running, your job was to chase her down. But you highly doubt that, Yelena was more than able to protect herself.

You observed her from the rooftop, glancing over at Yelena, who gave you a small nod. She spoke through the comm. "Eyes on target. Waiting for the package."

"I have sights on collateral one."

Another person walked in with the package, and Yelena readied herself for firing. You glanced up as the school alarm rang and children started screaming. "Firing in place three. Five. Four. Three. She made us. Target deployed smoke."

Yelena suddenly stood up, moving away from her post. "She's on foot with the package. Stay high. I'm going to ground." Her words left no word for your argument and you watched from the top, following Yelena by jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

When Yelena stabbed the target, you took your chance and tackled her to the ground. Yelena glared at you, but you ignored her, about to interrogate her when a dust of red smoke was sprayed on you and Yelena.

There was this weird feeling. Cold, misty. But most of all, it felt like a weird sense of awakening, as if you were finally woken up from a dream. Everything felt so weird, and you glanced around, your eyes meeting Yelena's. She looked as dazed as you, and her eyes widened when she saw the girl on the ground. The two of you ran forward.

"Oskana," Yelena let out a small gasp, and you applied pressure to the wound. "Oh no. What did I do?"

Oskana wrapped her fingers around Yelena's hand. Her words were firm. "Free the others."

Yelena's breath was heavy, but you were simply numb. What was happening? Her eyes became lifeless, and you choked back a sob.

You heard another widow on com. "Yelena, we need a status report. Y/n had followed you down that building." She didn't reply, and you watched as she stabbed the knife into her thigh, pulling out the tracker. Yelena didn't even ask before she was stabbing the knife into your thigh as well, pulling out another one. You shot her a dirty look. "Yelena, we need a status report."

"Converge on team leader," you could hear the other widow before you threw out your com. Yelena took your hands, and you didn't hesitate to squeeze it. At least you still have her by your side.

You found the two of you an apartment in Budapest. It wasn't much but it was something seeing as Drekov would surely be sending Taskmaster after the two of you.

The water was running in the bathroom, and you walked in, seeing Yelena stare at herself in the mirror, washing the blood from her hand and thigh. You walked in silently, taking the cloth from her and dabbing in gently on the open wound. Yours wasn't as deep as Yelena, and you wondered if she had done it on purpose.

"Stop being so hard on yourself," you muttered. Yelena grunted.

"You're the one to talk."

You gave her a dry laugh. "Ha ha, very funny."

"I know, I'm a comedian," Yelena replied sarcastically. Honestly, you never expect the scared little girl, and then later leader, would be such a sarcastic person. You were never really given the freedom of speech.