𝟯𝟬. 𝗡𝗢𝗧 𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗜𝗦 𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧 𝗜𝗧 𝗦𝗘𝗘𝗠𝗦

≿━━━━༺❀༻━━━━≾

THIRTY | NOT EVERYTHING IS WHAT IT SEEMS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE STARK SMELL of hospital disinfectant was overwhelming. It invaded her nostrils when she blinked her eyes open. Soo-Jin scrunched her eyes in an attempt to sharpen the blurred images before her. Where am I? She thought. She glanced around and took in the empty white and brown colour schemed bedroom.

Chang Soo-Jin was undoubtedly in a hospital.

The room was pristine clean and bright. The walls were painted white and there were several wooden decorations. Everything once again screamed extravagance and it didn't take her much to realize she was inside a VIP ward. An IV drip was attached to her arm, transporting necessary liquid that will replenish her lost strength. She had another clean set of bandages wrapped around her wounded hand. All her other injuries were tended as well, although there was dull ache in her lower back.

The ward she was in was silent apart from her heavy breathing and the beep beep sound one often heard in hospitals that indicate they're alive.

Soo-Jin felt powerless and heavy. She could not move her hand, her head or her body. How long have I been here? She said to herself. What exactly happened again?

She shut her eyes, trying to remember what had exactly occurred. Then, it all hit her with a bang. The memory of it all started to occupy her thoughts.

Right, she almost died.

"Well, this is unexpected. I'm not yet dead?" remarked the woman. Out of impulse, her hand travelled to her face, pressing the throbbing area on her right temple.

"Yes, and thank fuck for that!"

Soo-Jin winced at the familiar tone of her sister's voice. Hana wheeled inside the ward with her arms crossed. There was an IV drip as well attached to her wheelchair and arm. Her sister looked healthier for color finally returned to her previously pale skin.

But, why was that? Hana was supposed to have her kidney transplant this day, she remembered. What day was it already? She internally spoke.

"How are you feeling, unnie?"

She hummed. "Physically? Mentally? Spiritually? Socioeconomically? Financially? I'm not sure how to answer your question, Hana. Your question is so broad, you need to be -- "

Hana flicked her forehead.

"Ow!" The woman yelped, hissing. "Can you not? I just almost died!"

"I know!" exasperated Hana, her eyes emitting tears of despondency that slowly cascaded down her cheeks. "You almost died again! Do you know how worried I was for you? I couldn't contact you, Soo-Jin, for days! Days!" She emphasized.