Chapter 1

***
"Mom, I know you’re up to something," Emma sighed, her voice tinged with exasperation as she paced the room, phone pressed to her ear. "I'm begging you, please—don't."

Her mother’s excitement crackled through the line, undeterred. "I don't know what you're talking about," she said, a little too innocently.

"Really?" Emma groaned. "I’m finally coming home after three years, and I can hear  the scheming in your voice."

"Fine," her mother huffed, giving in, though not without a trace of irritation. "I just don’t get it—how did I give birth to you, and you ended up just like your father?"

"Mom, you know I love you, but as much as I do, I hate attention," Emma said, balancing her phone between her ear and shoulder while collecting her boarding pass from the counter. She glanced down at it, grateful to have one less thing to worry about. "Oh... the boarding gates are open. I’ve got to drop this call now. Bye, love you."

Before her mom could protest, Emma quickly hit the end button and sighed. Sliding the phone into her pocket, she took a deep breath and picked up her bag, making her way toward the boarding gate. All she wanted was to arrive quietly, no fuss, no grand homecoming—just to feel normal for once.

As she approached the gate, she noticed one of the crew members glancing her way with a curious expression. A moment later, he smiled warmly and walked toward her.

"Are you Ms. Emma Swan?" the crew member asked, his friendly smile unwavering.

Emma suppressed a sigh, already knowing her mother's involvement yet again. "Yes, that's me," she replied, trying to keep her expression neutral.

"I just wanted to let you know we have a little surprise waiting for you on board," he said, his eyes sparkling with excitement.

Emma's heart sank. “A surprise? What kind of surprise?”

“Oh, just something to celebrate your return. I think you'll enjoy it,” he said, his tone light and teasing.

Emma glanced around the bustling airport, wishing for a moment of peace. “Thanks, but I really just wanted a straightforward trip in economy—nothing extravagant.”

“I understand,” he replied, nodding. “But your mom insisted we make it special.”

Emma let out a small chuckle, shaking her head. “Of course she did"

***
Meanwhile, at Boston Airport, Emma's closest friends—Ruby, Lace, and Belle—eagerly awaited her arrival in the crowded terminal. Lucy proudly held up a large, colorful “Welcome Back!” banner, a huge grin plastered across her face.

"Lucy, I swear, if Emma gets mad at that ridiculous sign board, it’s all on you," Ruby warned, crossing her arms with a teasing glare.

"Trust me, she’ll love it! By the way, what time did you say Emma’s flight lands?" Lucy replied, bouncing on her heels with excitement.

Just then, Lace pointed excitedly. "Guys, there she is! Emma!!!"

They all squealed in unison and rushed forward, pulling Emma in a tight group hug.

"Okay, girls, c-calm down! You’re literally suffocating me," Emma gasped, laughing as she gently tapped her friends, signaling them to let her go.

"I can't believe it's been 4 years..time really flies fast and you've.......uh Em what happened to your shirt?"

"An annoying woman who thinks she owns the plane happened...long story....anyways..why don't we go ahead so I can change.."

***
At Mills Corp, Diana, the head of HR, sat across from Katherine, the company's Vice President and COO, who also happened to be Regina’s best friend. They were in the middle of a familiar conversation—one that had been repeated countless times over the past few weeks.