Chapter 7

Chapter 7
__________

"The Shyamakund?"

Surya clucked her tongue. "I detect uncertainty in your tone, young lady!"

"Er, yes, Bahula Baghini can easily come out here can't she?"

She shook her head. "And that is where you underestimate me. She usually dislikes pretty gardens as she believes 'strolling in them brings you nothing but a sense of laziness when there is work to be done'. Her words, not mine. And if we sit down over here, behind this row of bushes, she won't even be able to see us!"

"Chhaya Bhagini, you're brilliant!" she said, words tinkling with glee as they tumbled out of her mouth.

Surya winked at her. "Of course I am!"

They sat down cross-legged on the stony patch of tiles in front of the tall bushes. The water sparkled in the light of the sun, making the pond look glorious.

"So... what do we do, Bhagini?"

"Well, for starters, I could tell you the story about the Shyamakund. But I reckon you'd know about it-"

"No, I don't." She confessed.

Suryakanti raised an eyebrow, "Really? Or are you just telling me so that we can start a conversation?"

"I don't know the story, Bhagini. I never liked history much." The girl wrinkled her nose in distaste.

The woman's jaw dropped. "You have wounded my heart!" she feigned hurt, "How can anyone hate the most - and only - interesting subject there is?"

Netra shrugged. "I don't know, I just don't like it. But I do love stories."

Surya sighed. "Alright, I'll tell you the story though. Do you know of the original Shyamakund? The one which God Krishna created?"

Netra frowned in confusion and shook her head.

"Hm, well you do know the story of Krishna and Aristasura?" She shook her head again. "I have heard the asura's name, but I can't recall the story... I can't remember well from aged pages and big, confusing words," she admitted.

"Well then, I'll simplify it for you," Surya said, smiling at her. "Everyone in Vrindavan was living a peaceful and happy life with Krishna running around, playing pranks, helping his mother, watching over the cows with his friends, and all the normal things he would do. But little did he know, his evil uncle, Kamsa's plans were cooking."

"Cooking?" she asked with a frown.

"It's just an expression, Netra," Surya explained, "It means, to create or to make something. It's usually used to refer to stories, plans, or something as such."

The little girl nodded with understanding and gestured for her to continue.

"Alright... where was I?"

"Kamsa had made plans..."

"Ah, yes. So, he summoned Aristasura and asked him to finish off his nephew who was fated to kill him. Aristasura came to the village looking for a boy with dark, bluish skin in a yellow dhoti with a peacock's feather in his hair. He didn't come as an asura, for that would scare the people and alert them. So he assumed the form a large, might bull.

"He searched and searched but could not find Krishna anywhere! So he decided to act like a mad bull and damage the village and scare the people so that their beloved Krishna would come to the rescue. Once Krishna arrived, the demon grew in size, letting out a loud, spine-chilling bellow. His eyes turned red and devilish, his form large and frightening. He charged at Krishna with full fervor.