Chapter 15

Chapter 15
__________

Surya turned back, surprised to see her friend walk in. Her eyes went wide when they landed on the person accompanying her. It was the same Veer Naari sister that she had seen conversing with Bahula the other day.

"Pranam, Bhaginyaha," they synchronized.

Suruchi nodded in acknowledgment. "Take a seat, Charulatha and Radha." 

Oh, so that's her name...

Uma Bhagini spoke after they sat, "You must listen to whatever we say carefully, for this is a crucial matter and must be kept a secret. Understood?"

"Understood, Bhagini," Charu said, Radha just nodded from beside Surya. She studied the quiet and reserved Veer Naari whom she had only seen around but not spoken to. She wore pitch black, thick locks of hair braided behind her. Her guarded eyes were lined with kohl, her lips set in a stern line. She was quite tall and had a dark complexion. She looked like a calculative and precise woman.

"You three will be sent on a mission." Suruchi broke the news. "But this will be no ordinary one. The previous tasks were based on rescuing village folk, sabotaging robbers plots of village raids, protecting them from being attacked by wild animals, to name a few. They were not missions as such, but our sewa, our duty, and fulfilling our virtues as humans. However, you three will be the first ones to be part of an elaborate mission such as this."

"Yes," Uma Bhagini said. "This is unlike anything we usually do. This does not violate our principles, but it is just on a greater level than we deal with. However, it does bend the principles of staying unbiased towards any state or kingdom," she sent Suruchi a pointed look, but continued without a pause, "but it is for... what you can call the greater good."

Surya's confused expression morphed into one of understanding, but the other two remained expectant of the Elder's words.

"The purpose of this is mission is to dethrone King Abalabāhu."

This sent waves of faint startled gasps through the girls. "Dethrone him, Bhagini? But, our clan does not deal with other kingdoms' matters." Charu argued, still shocked by the fact.

"Yes, you are right, Charulatha. But this has gone beyond just a kingdom," Suruchi's grave voice answered. "They have gone too far. Abalabāhu has terrorized independent tribes, clans, and villages who have not surrendered to his rule. He has threatened the very existence of these independent communities. That means, the existence of the Veer Naari clan as well."

* * *

"Hence, we must usurp his rule before he attacks us. This isn't a selfish reason, selfless, rather. By succeeding in this mission, we succeed in rescuing other people and in saving their lives. That will be a huge feat and a noble achievement for us. If we manage it. Out of the many fine Veer Naaryaha, we have chosen you three. You must not fail us, for if you do, it will be the end of our cause. Our clan. Our lives."

Suryakanti felt her shoulders drop slightly. Must be the weight of this mission, she sighed internally. My aunt picked me as I am directly related to this, but is that all? She did not see anything else in me?

Well, what great person am I to question her judgment? I am not as old or experienced as the others, after all. I should be honored to be chosen for this.

"Do you all accept this responsibility?"

Surya almost snorted. Not like we have much of a choice, Aunt, but alright, we will.