36

As Xiao Zhige was sizing up Li Hai Yun, Li Hai Yun was also quietly doing the same. Whether it was his appearance or behavior, the Northern Warlord had the demeanor of a General. Sullen eyes and a downward arching mouth. A single look and one could tell he was in a bad mood.

He clenched his fists and looked towards An Chang Qing. However, An Chang Qing, sitting next to Xiao Zhige, was not paying attention to him.

Li Hai Yun's heart sank. In his panic he thought: Is Cousin Chang Qing blaming me? Clearly when they were at the lake discussing poems, An Chang Qing's eyes had always been on me...

"Cousin Chang Qing..." Li Hai Yun felt his heartthrob and couldn't hold back his voice.

An Chang Qing was about to introduce him to Xiao Zhige so he casually responded with a nod, "Wangye, this is Madame Li's nephew, the son of Chang Yang County's magistrate, Li Ru Qi."

Xiao Zhige responded without any change in attitude. He asked, "I heard that Nuo Nuo is quite close to Young Master Li."

His tone was not heavy but his dark face made the two men with hidden intentions shudder.

An Chang Yu covered his face and the corner of his lips rose. Only Li Hai Yun anxiously tried to explain, "We're not close, we're just... we're just..." He couldn't come up with the right word on the spot and faltered.

"Just what?" Xiao Zhige saw how eager he was to distinguish and his mood turned worse. Anger filled his voice as he asked, "Why don't Young Master Li finish your words?"

"We're just ordinary friends. Wangye, please do not misunderstand." Li Hai Yun hardened his resolve and dared not look at An Chang Qing. Cousin Chang Qing is now the Northern Warlord's Wangfei. Since he had no power to protect him, he shouldn't drag him down with his wishful thinking.

An Chang Qing who had not been speaking could vaguely feel that something was wrong. He frowned and said, "Brother Hai Yun had stayed in the An Manor as a guest for a while so we knew each other."

Xiao Zhige looked at him carefully but he saw no flaws in his expression. An Chang Qing had an innocent look, as though he could not understand Li Hai Yun's lovelorn words. There was also no trace of sadness or any sort of emotions at the sight of an ex-lover. Xiao Zhige couldn't tell whether he was just too good at pretending or he had truly let go of this person.

Looking at Li Hai Yun again, the discontent in Xiao Zhige's eyes intensified. He squinted and waved his hands, "Now that you've seen each other, it's time for the both of you to leave."

"Then we won't keep Wangye and Wangfei from enjoying the festival." When An Chang Yu saw that Xiao Zhige was chasing them away without any subtlety, his face changed slightly but he still bowed respectfully and stepped back. Li Hai Yun looked at An Chang Qing with much to be said but he kept quiet.

An Chang Qing did not perceive his gaze as his focus was solely on Xiao Zhige.

Feeling that something was off, An Chang Qing asked after the two had left, "Wangye, is something wrong?"

His temper had been off since just now.

Seeing that An Chang Qing was concerned about him, Xiao Zhige was in a complicated mood. He wanted to ask An Chang Qing about his relationship with Li Hai Yun but feared that he would get an answer he did not wish to hear. He had fought in blood soaked battlefields for many years but he never thought that he could turn into this coward hiding behind a curtain of self-deception as of this moment.

He pursed his lips and responded, "It's nothing."

An Chang Qing looked at him from the side and felt that this person was not telling the truth. With the amount of time they had been together, An Chang Qing had a good grasp of Xiao Zhige's temperament. He would never tell him about his discontentment, preferring to keep everything to himself.