Chapter 17: Face Of The Past

Chi POV

"This is it." Nan shuts the front seat door and stood beside Chi and Thomas.
Chi had been staring at Thomas's firm muscles and got distracted. A slight sound of the wind to Chi's left brought him back to himself.
"Damn, look at this mess." Thomas was examining the rusted cars, the dying plants with plastics hooking on its stems, and the puddle of brown waters on the crack pavement.
"Do you think we should stick together or split up?" Nan asked.
"We'll split up." said Ice.
"Take it easy." Zero grinned as he walked towards the gate. "You looked fazed."
Ice made a face as if it was saying, no shit.
"Okay, we'll split up." Nan agreed. By the time they reached beyond the gate, the wind became quite strong. The rest of the gang scattered around the abandoned factory. Chi was with Thomas and Nan. They around the secret entrance that Thomas just found. Ice and Zero were on the other side of the building.

"Are there any demonic activities?" Chi said to Ice on the phone.
"No." Ice replied.
"Demonic activities? Do you think there are demons inside the factory doing workouts?" Zero asked but Ice had already muted the call. Those who seemed not to be okay on their way to the factory. Chi caught at the rearview mirror that they were giving each other sharp looks. Lovers quarrel, Chi presumed.

Zero POV

Ice muted the call and Zero began to laugh quietly. Ice pushed his hood back, so he could feel the sunlight on his dark hair. "Demons doing workouts? Seriously? Have you even asked Satan if there's a gym in hell?"
"Just kidding." Zero put his hands in his pocket. A playful grin was already on his lips. "Your rare gift could be useful."

"Look, Zero. I was just forced to team up with you." Ice said as if it was his daily basis problem that destiny always put Zero first above all others. "We don't have to talk about last night."

"True. I'd always hope when I finally said 'I love you', you'd reply 'I love you too." Zero said, unable to help himself.

Ice glared at him. "Enough, Zero." He was about to reply another snarky retort when Ice's head perked up.
Zero looked at Ice in bewilderment. "Is there a demon inside?"
Ice's annoyed expression had already vanished. "Something's not right."

Chi POV

He looked at the two boys behind him as they proceed to the upper level of the factory. There were rusted machinery and puddles on the ground. Chi could hear the soft clang of chains that dangled from the ceiling.

The smell hit him the moment they strode another section. It was almost mixed of raw eggs and maggoty flesh, and seaweeds. Thomas wrinkled his nose and Nan turned a little pale as if he was going to choke.
"He must've been here." Nan said.
Thomas looked at him like he's ready to face this. "I'm prepared for this bastard."
"No, you're not."
"Yes I am."
"No you're not."
"It's better if it was just me." Thomas said, mostly to himself. Careless move.
"Are you saying I brought the bad luck to our mission?"
"When did I say that?"

"You said it was not difficult if it's just you."
Thomas backed his head away. "I didn't say 'difficult'"
"Tom, you di--"
"Guys!" Chi scowled in a soft voice. "This is not the time to maul at each other."
"Maul? We aren't going to eat each other here." Thomas replied.
"What the fuck?" Chi frowned as he strolled over the boys. "You two are arguing. It would've been peaceful if it was just me."
"Peaceful?" said Thomas.
"And you meant it?" Nan argued back.
"That's right. You two are trying to start a fight." Chi said, bouncing his gaze between Thomas and Nan.
"Yeah, so?"
"No, you are starting a fight." Nan said to Thomas.
"Oh yes!--"
"GUYS!" Chi nearly raised his voice. They all stopped. Chi jerked his head at the center of the room. A table was there. On the top were several kunai knives and a katana. There were Y symbols carved on the floor and burned black candles. Chi moved across the room, stepping carefully. He reached to examine the Katana. "Did he use a weapon when he attacked my brother?"

Something flickered against the Katana. Chi looked up at the upper levels and saw the man, wearing a long coat and a wearing an opaque black mask. He ducked as soon as he heard a whoosh of kunai, almost hitting him in the head. Several kunai flew towards them. They stumbled behind the table. They heard loud footsteps. Nan peaked at the side of the table. "He's gone."

Beside Chi, Thomas whispered something. It sounded like a disappointment. Chi wandered his eyes around the room. A loud thud came in front of them. They all screamed as the man raised the katana. Then, a sword came free from Chi's and Thomas's hands, clashing with the katana. The two rose up, grunting hard as they pushed the man back.

He revolved up in the air and came down to strike at them. Chi and Thomas rolled over to the side. Nan darted forward, his arm turning into an iron fist. The man slashed his blades down with a frightening speed. Nan punched him in the abdomen but it was not enough. He caught Nan's arm and knocked him on the side like a german shepherd dog might bat a cat.

"Nan!" Chi shouted, his face sick with horror. He rushed without thinking but the man blocked his way. Out of anger, black flames burst from Chi's hands, shooting them at him. The two struck with the same force. Chi wasn't aware of his surroundings anymore.

Chi staggered a little when the man lashed out at him but he was not harmed. He glared hard at the man as he lifted his arms. Black flames roared, circling around them. Grabbing, whirling, arms and legs had enough weight to give each other the strongest blows until the man struck Chi out of the flames.

The shockwave threw him back. Thomas screamed Chi's name. He landed on the puddle. His throat burned with a bile. Chi started to get to his feet. Something had thrown itself between Chi and the man with a solidified blood sword. Caleb. They clashed. But the man was stronger. Caleb flung at him. He whipped the blood sword outward, striking the upper arm but it only sliced downward. He was wearing armor beneath his long coat. Caleb's eyes caught something by his side. A table floated in the air and he used his telekinetic ability to toss it. The man was distracted by dodging the table. It crashed behind him. He didn't have the chance to attack when Caleb swung the sword on the man's mask. It shattered. The mask flew down on the puddle.

Nice diversion. Chi cheered his brother.

When the man turned to look at them. Caleb's sword point hovered just below the man's chin. "Who are you?" He hissed.
Chi's eyes went wide as the recognition of that face sink in. Chi had known him for years, saw him in the hallways of the Bangkok headquarters, saw him in the Marvel Corp when he and Nan explored Ravika City. Chi stood frozen, staring at the man's face.
It was a face from the past.
Aun Sardoth.