Chapter 3

Getting Heather's statement was a heavy task since she was still so in denial, but after a while, the police got all the information they needed. Over the next few days, Heather just slept while Molly tirelessly stayed at her side.

"You need to rest too, or you'll be the next person to be lying on a hospital bed," argued Mathew, who had been worriedly watching over Molly who was pushing herself too much.

With things getting busier with exams around the corner, Molly never slacked off on her studies, but she also insisted on seeing Heather every day. The constant travelling and stress were doing her no favours, and the cold weather was against her.

"It's fine, I want to be with her a bit longer." she insisted, making him sigh.

"You can come tomorrow. She won't want to see you hurting yourself for her sake, now, will she?" he pointed out, knowing Molly couldn't argue with that.

"Fine." she gave in with a sigh.

Time flowed by, and Molly got the good news that Derek was locked up. To make things better, Heather was being discharged and she was already looking better than before. She had regained weight, her bruises and scars had all healed leaving practically no trace, and her mental state was better. Finally, after two years she was slowly coming to terms with the fact that she was abused and that her father was also abusive. Throughout the whole process, Molly was always there, and Heather was extremely grateful to her for being a permanent pillar of support in her life.

To celebrate her discharge, Eric, Molly, and Mathew had planned a small party with just the four of them. They had played all of Heather's favourite songs, made all her favourite foods and desserts, and given her the best evening she ever had.

For the first time in a long time, she felt at peace and infinitely grateful all at once.

On the night of the concert, Molly still offered Heather to come with her instead of Mathew who was reluctant to accept coming, but Heather insisted that she should just go fun with Mathew. To ease her worries, Eric had proposed to stay with Heather for the evening until they returned. So, after forcing them out the door, Eric and her sat reading their favourite books. She truly missed these moments of silent peace with him.

On their end, Molly was enthusiastically buying everything she could get her hands on for her and Heather while dragging Mathew behind her before taking their seats.

Throughout the entire concert, Molly was so mesmerised by April's radiance that she didn't notice Mathew's pained gaze as he stared at her. She was like a radiant magnet that drew people to her, and every word of her songs held power, meaning and emotion. When she cried, the public cried when she laughed, the public laughed. She truly knew how to connect through her words and songs to every person in the crowd. It was no wonder she had so many fans. She inspired strength, and acceptance of yourself and your flaws.

Currently, she was singing her last song which was a new release called 'Phoenix', and the pure emotion was so overwhelming no one could turn away. The song was a summary of her life: the suffering, self-doubt, depression, happiness, struggles, and new beginnings. It was like a wave bringing you on the journey of her life and showing you just who April was. By the end of the song, the majority of the public was in tears, but not all were sad.

At the end of the concert, everyone rushed to get good spots to take pictures of her when she would come out, while Molly grabbed Mathew and headed backstage with him thanks to their VIP tickets.

Finally! She could meet her and Heather's favourite singer! She could hardly stand still with such excitement bubbling within her. She was so focused on her excitement she missed the signs of her boyfriend's discomfort as he stood silently at her side waiting for their turn.