8. Year: 1248 SL

The height of my studies with the started when I was fifteen. I was never particularly fond of the Ilmatari theology classes and did not pay attention. However, one distinct lesson still lingers in my mind.

Mother Olma taught this class herself, and preached about the greatness of Ilmater, and all he's done for us. At the time, I thought it was a hot load of garbage every time the lines of his teachings blurred.

On one hand, Mother Olma gospelized Ilmater as the incarnation of compassion, and the eternal foe of suffering. A great being who offered aid and relief and words of comfort to those in pain, who were oppressed, or otherwise in great need. He was depicted as a quiet, generous, good-spirited, and even-tempered, with a kind and gentle nature.

But then she spoke of his wrath.

Ilmater was greatly angered by extreme cruelty and atrocities, and at those who inflicted such suffering. He was particularly enraged by those who harmed or abused children and other young creatures. At such times, he set aside his doctrine of endurance and non-violence, and unleashed his full force to put an end to cruelty.

"But doesn't that make him cruel, too?" 

Everyone turned to look at me as Mother Olma stared blankly that I would ask such a question. The outsider, the unwelcomed, and the unapplied asked such a thought provoking and conflict inducing question. To this day, I still do not understand it. 

Mother Olma described it as picking the lesser of two evils, and in some situations as bearing the guilt that would come if the person tried to defend themselves and succeeded. Yet, it completely disregards the potential for meditation.

Fiends, for instance, have a language. If we took the time to speak with them, perhaps we could learn that they are not all bad, and that there is room for redemption. However, the Ilmatari teach us that these manifestations of evil cannot achieve remorse and redemption. The only resolution it to exterminate them before they can harm others.

"But what if they could learn to repent?"

Mother Olma tried to silence my idealism to save me from the malicious laughter of the other students. 

Despite their ostracization, I could not abandon my ideals. I could not give up on myself.

***

Please vote and leave a comment if you enjoyed the story! Thanks for reading! :D