-Promise-

-ERYKAH-

I was nervous as I watched the story unfold about the diner shootout. The last time I heard from Lacey, she would meet Frank there for breakfast. I knew he wouldn't let anything happen to her, but that didn't make me any less anxious. There have been two attempts on my best friend's life in less than twenty-four hours!

I heard the burner phone vibrate, and I backed away from the small crowd huddled in front of the office television to answer it. It was a text from Lacey:

We're safe. Grab the boxes and leave the office. Curtis is waiting for you in a car.

I sigh in relief, and I begin to do what she asked of me. I saw a tall man with regal bearing, chocolate skin, and an easy smile waiting for me at the entrance. He helps me with the boxes after introducing himself as Curtis. He's a friend of Frank's who works with a support group for veterans. I admire that.

"Where are we going?" I ask him as he eases the car into the street.

"Somewhere safe," he replies. "Valhalla wants to bring her in alive."

"Are they alright?" I ask next.

"Your girl ran after them with Frank and took two down herself," he chuckles.

"...She did what?"

"Frank ran after them after the shooting stopped," he explained. "I guess she went out there, too."

I sighed. It looks like I'm going to have to have a conversation with her. I'm all for defending herself, but she put herself in danger this time.

"Did he know that she'd do something like this?" I questioned him.

"No," Curtis frowns. "He thought something had happened to her. He was just as surprised as we are. Where did she learn to use a gun and track like that?"

"Dean trained her when he was on leave," I revealed.

"....That's not possible," Curtis mumbles.

"What do you mean? He went home for a few months before he disappeared." I insisted.

"You don't understand," Curtis shook his head. "Dean was never granted leave. Rawlins wouldn't allow it. He was going to send him somewhere else."

"Why would he lie?" I wonder.

"I think he knew that something was wrong," Curtis surmised. "He must have snuck out after that shit went down in Khandahar...we were sent into a trap. Frank and Dean got as many of us out as they could. Rawlins and Frank got into it and if he made plans to leave, then that would have been a perfect time."

"...Then where did he go? And if they don't know where he is or...if he's alive, then why have a coverup prepared?" I ponder. "...This is going to devastate her...and Frank didn't know about this?"

"After the fight, he went home and...everything happened with his family," he explains. "Even if he felt that something was off, he wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with it."

"We can't tell her something like this without concrete evidence," I decide. "I'm gonna see if Micro can find anything first."

"Good idea," he agrees.

We arrived at a warehouse by the docks. I recognize my car out front. We grab the boxes and head inside. Frank, Lacey, and Micro were there. Lacey caught the look on my face and frowned. We're going to have a long conversation about what she's been up to.

"We need to talk," I tell her, putting the boxes down.

"About what?" She asks, folding her arms.

"Wanna tell me why you're running off after gangstas in dark alleys?" I demand.