Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Don't get your hopes up,this could be a trick, Hailey thought to herself,but couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement. The thought of being adopted kind of thrilled her,the trick was not to show it. Many families have tried to adopt her but none succeeded.
A variety of reasons,of course. Maybe the wife finally had a baby,the foster parents were abusive or she just ran away.

That made this moment even more nerve racking. Honestly, Hailey didn't even know how to react over the fact someone wanted to adopt a fifteen year old girl. She was ready though,boy was she ready, Hailey just wanted a family.

Hailey was only five when her father had killed her mother, and he was currently in prison or so she was told.

Folding her clothes neatly, Hailey packed what small amount of things she owned. Her personal belongs was some clothes,some worn out sneakers, a teddy bear and a picture of her mother.

With a glance at the staind mirror, she tucked a rebellious strand of her sandy blonde hair behind her ear. Hailey was an "old ball" in her foster home; everyone had red hair and blue eyes. Not her. She had sandy blonde hair that hung alittle past her shoulders. Grey eyes that were framed by thick,black eyelashes and a handful of scattered freckles.

Hailey looked up at the ticking clock on the dull,blue wall. Realization sunk Hailey's shoulders at the thought of leaving her foster family. They weren't bad people. Just a mother and her three kids plus one. Ms.Littleman's husband died at war when her youngest daughter was three. It is sad, but that is life.

Hailey grabbed her bags and opened her bedroom door,no one was home right now. So she walked to the kitchen and sat her bags on the table. She reached in the fridge grabbing an apple. Ms. Littleman was a health freak; sometimes Hailey swears that her kids have never even touched junk food.

Hopefully they let me get a hersey bar, Hailey thought.

The front door slammed shut and Marcus,Ms.Littleman's oldest,barged in. He threw his bag on the ground and stared at Hailey.

"Your leaving..." Marcus whispered like he was in a trance. Hailey nodded and frowned,on the edge of tears. His strong, freckled covered arms wrapped around her.

Marcus was a handsome boy. Tall,messy reddish hair,blue eyes and athletic. Hailey couldn't believe that he had confessed to her - but of course,it was kept secret.

Hailey clenched to him. "I don't want to leave you." She mumbled in his shirt. Marcus rested his chin on her head.

"Then don't leave me. Stay here with me."

"Your mom can't keep taking care of me." Hailey whispered, her voice cracking.

"I'm sixteen, I can get a job. She is just gunna take in another kid."

Hailey sighed,running her fingers through her hair. "You're making this even harder."

Marcus laced their fingers together,leading her to his room. His hands cupped her cheeks as his thumb ran over her bottom lip. Hailey looked up at him with her grey eyes. He leaned down stealing a sweet,soft kiss. Hailey slowly kissed back,wrapping her arms around his neck. They held eachother in a tight embrace as their last kiss stretched on.

Marcus pulled away and rested his forehead against hers. "I can't believe your leaving me." He said softly.

"Wait for me?" She asked,hopeful.

He nodded and kissed her forehead. "I'll wait."

Hailey smiled brightly at his words. His phone dinged so Hailey let go of his neck. He muttered on the phone a few minutes then hung up. "I'm sorry Hailey. I have basketball practice. I'll try to make it before you leave." Marcus said,pecking her lips before rushing out the door.

Nearly an hour later, Ms.Littleman came into the room that Hailey was watching tv in. Her eyes were puffy. "My little Hailey is getting adopted today." She sniffled,smiling. Hailey wrapped her arms around her foster mom.

"I'll miss you." Hailey whispered,crying now as well.
Ms.Littleman clung to her foster daughter as they hugged. She wiped her eyes and looked at Hailey. "You've grown up so much these past three years." Ms.Littleman said.

Hailey just nodded too choked up to talk.

"Be a good girl for the Nicholas' family. They are sweet people. Mind your manners. Keep those grades up. And watch out for those boys." She warned Hailey.

"I will Ms. Littleman." Hailey replied with a sad smile.

They hugged once again before grabbing her suitcases. Ms Littleman was rambling about traffic like always when she was sad. Hailey got into the passenger seat as they drove to the airport to meet Hailey's new life in Creed,Louisiana.

Hello,

So what did you guys think? This is kinda like a prologue and first chapter in one. Im super excited to hear yalls thoughts. I'll try to update everyweek on Tuesday or Wednesday. I apologize if it is alittle short but it is what i can do for now since im writing on my phone but I will work on it.

Dont be shy, I take critisms just as well as compliments.

I really hope you all enjoyed this chapter. Hopefully, I will be uploading Chasing Callie later on. I'm not sure yet. But i have a book of poems and short stories called 'Little Black Book of Secrets' if you would like to check that.

Like. Comment. Follow.

Sincerly,

MakenzieKeene.