i. school's out

《 ONE • SCHOOL'S OUT 》

< no more pencils, no more books - no more teachers, dirty looks >

《<>》

SUMMER VACATION was nigh, and there was no ticked-off calendar necessary to know that.

It was in everything - the June sun beating in through the window and heating the cheap linen coverings on the desks, the excited murmurs throughout the classroom of friends concocting plans for the next five weeks, the student body's collective disregard for anything the teacher said the closer the clock hand ticked towards the uppermost numeral to signify the official end of the trials and tribulations of the 8th grade.

And Colin Keoghan would have been enjoying it just as much as the rest of his peers if it wasn't for Richie Tozier.

Then again, the boy was always finding ways to ruin things - why break tradition now?

"Listen - I get you, man, I get you - but this is - no, hear me out! It's the last - sir, it's the last day - dude, you owe me!"

"Mr. Tozier, take your assigned seat before I put you on the list for summer school - final warning!"

Colin rolled his eyes at the indignant scoff and reluctant shuffle that followed, refusing to look up from his novel even as the chair next to him was pulled back with a screech.

There was nothing for a few moments, and then it started.

Leg jostling, fingers tapping on the metal rim under the table, sighing and huffing and shifting to get comfortable.

And then none of that was enough to keep him occupied anymore, so of course he turned to his usual victim.

"Jesus, Keoghan, do you ever have your head out of a goddamn book?" Richie griped in his whiney voice. Colin could practically feel those beady magnified eyes glaring at him. "That can't be healthy for your fuckin' eyesight, dude."

"Do you ever have your nose out of other people's goddamn business?" Colin replied automatically, not even batting an eyelid as he turned the page, "And you're one to talk about eyesight, Specs."

"Oh, that's rich - that's rich - you know what, I wouldn't stoop as low as using someone's - someone's condition against them-"

"I've heard you call your friend an 'annoying OCD Jew' literally countless times-"

"-but I guess I'm just like, a better person than you or whatever - big heart, that's me, ask anyone-"