Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Before long, Ana was getting a grasp to the enigmatic visions she was experiencing. Nevertheless, she found herself rubbing her eyes and pressing her hands over her face. Oh no, Ana thought after seeing her solitary grandmother Elisa after Martha and her family left her home. Some thoughts emerged rapidly into Anna’s head and she was wondering how a woman who gave birth to 13 children now have none of them to be with her. Before she had time to get emotional she heard a remote voice coming toward her and consequently she saw her father’s blue classic Oldsmobile.

*During the car ride back to their home in San Nicolaas, Martha felt better again.    goodbye to her mother was not always a pleasant event. Many times she wished she had built a house near her parent's house, so she just had to take a short walk to visit them. At the moment she got accustomed to San Nicolaas.  Somehow, she did not miss Santa Cruz as much as she missed her parents. She understood it was a process everyone had to go through. Departing from the cherished ones was not easy and especially if they were present since birth. Sooner or later, she will have to go through what her mother is going through now. Her children were growing up fast, and soon they will decide to go to study abroad or get married and form their own life somewhere else. It is like a never-ending circle each family will have to experience.

Looking out the car, Martha noticed that Sergio took his favorite route again, the ‘Rooi Frances’ or ‘Frenchman Pass’. It is such a different area than the other attractive areas in Aruba. They reached the coral cliffs, where legend and stories were passed down from generation to generation that French pirates invaded Aruba early 17th century and met Indians in the narrow passage. In this battle many of the fighters were killed. While going through this passage, it was just as Martha could feel the Indians crying after the fight against the French. Some inhabitants say that at night, they could hear the crying noises of the Indians. It could be possible that their ghosts are awake and haunting this area. One way, Martha always thought it was strange that the quiet natured Indians did not just give in and spare many deaths. However, she kept in mind that these tribes had families to protect. Besides that, they had their own properties to defend. Being friendly and kind to visitors and always having to give away their properties in exchange of vague promises could not last too long.

All these haunting of ghosts never scared her husband Sergio. He liked this passage because of the quietness and the cool environment that was made possible by the high coral cliffs, which looked like caves, and the trees that were growing above the road. After passing the cliffs, the scenery changed once more into an open space with much greenery. It gave this passage a very wonderful contrast. Furthermore, there were no houses or other buildings to be seen, which gives the landscape a clean and peaceful sight. There was a very old building on the top of this passage. This was the ruin of the Balashi Gold Mill, and it was build further in the back, near the quiet and cool environment.

After ten minutes the family Weman arrived at their home. Sergio parked the car in the open garage, and the kids could not wait to get out of the car. Sergio took the newborn from Martha and went to open the front door of the house. Martha took all her time to get herself out of the car. It was already six in the afternoon, and the sun was just preparing to settle down, what gave the blue sky of the island a flame of red colors all over the horizon. Martha had to stand a while outside to observe this wonderful sight that welcomed and embraced her. Silently, she thanked God for this gift of nature, her home and family.

Sergio stood patiently waiting at the door and was happy that his wife was back again and enjoying the nice little things the island offered to its nature lovers. The kids were all over the house, yard and kitchen drinking some water or juice or playing with the dog outside in the backyard. Martha entered the house and was amazed how clean it was. She kissed her husband for watching over the house and went walking to look around. Sergio asked if she was inspecting the house, but Martha was just smiling and being very grateful that she had all her family with her again.