Chapter 3: Strange Behaviour

The next morning could not come quick enough for Liliana, before she knew it the sun had begun streaming slowly through the gaps in the curtains, stretching its light across the worn floorboards towards her feet. Due to the events of the previous night, Liliana had been too scared to sleep upon her bed so she had dragged her thin blanket off of the bed and slept with it on the floor. She stretched and rubbed her eyes, her legs and arms feeling very cold from the bare boards underneath her. Looking around the lit walls of the room, she noticed that the two sisters had already gone down for breakfast.

"Crap, I best get a move on otherwise i might be punished for being late for breakfast." Liliana spoke out loud, scurrying around her suitcase for something to wear.

Dressed in a purple and black plaid skirt, strappy black laced top and heeled boots; Liliana made her way out of the bedroom and along the landing. A few wisps of smoke caught her eye building around the pillar that she saw it around yesterday when she arrived. Part of her hoped it wasn't the same figure from last night...although, maybe that was just a dream?

As she ignored the thoughts in her mind, she made her way down the staircase; glancing back at the pillar every now and again. Making it down the staircase to the bottom, she bumped into Rogue. Has Rogue grown up a few years? That's strange! But when i met her yesterday she was about 8 years old. Now she looks about 10 years of age.

"Hi Rogue." Liliana spoke, her mind full of so many questions.

Rogue turned round, her eyes sparkled brightly and gave a big smile. Liliana barely recognised her. She was still the little girl who loved the colour red and orange; her dress was a crimson colour with hand-stitched orange flowers. But her hair was longer and her petite features on her face had now begun to mature.

"Liliana. Sorry I did not see you there. Late for breakfast again." She giggled, twirling round in her new dress. As she ran past her, Liliana thought it peculiar what she had said.

"Late again? I don't understand. I have only been here a day." She pondered this thought as she followed Rogue towards the dining room where the other children were sat eating their breakfast.

-------

Entering the large dining room, there were sculptured art pieces around the edges, with pieces of old fashioned armour placed at the entrances. It looked very grand, but seemed a bit too grand for an orphanage. An orphanage with a lot of money perhaps? On the dark oak walls, there looks to be some colourful murals which show the ancient families that used to live within this house. Large hanging curtains framed most of the windows within the dining room, some of the panes had stain-glass pictures etched into them. A very long table ran through the middle of the room, with chairs either side; the size you could have a banquet with extra seating as well. But it seemed a bit redundant with how many children lived here.

At the top end of the table furthest to the other end of the room sat the governess, she scowled at me due to my late presence at the table. But she then shook her head dismissively as I was new to the place. Rogue was sat to the right of her, sitting in-between the daughters Chrissi and Harli who were busy scoffing their faces with anything they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, Damien sat half way down the table towards the opening to the stairs, he obviously wasn't too sociable of a person. Anti walked towards him with a teasing gesture on his face, Damien huffed and ignored him as he sat down next to him.

I moved into the room, as I did so, the room went very quiet and it felt like all eyes were staring at me. I shifted uncomfortably on the spot.

"Lili, come and sit with us." Anti squealed excitedly, bouncing up and down in his chair. Damien looked over at me and then back down at his plate.