Chapter Nine: Calvin

"You mean you've never actually had ice cream?" Lana asked, mouth still agape.
I shook my head, eyes closed in sweet savoring of the sweet flavors. "Never." Lana had insisted that I try at least four of the flavors at what she called an 'ice cream place'. I had never tasted ice cream like this.
"I can't believe it," was all she said in response. Then we were silent, enjoying our dessert. I savored every bite to the last. Words seemed inadequate to describe just how good it all tasted, some sweet, others slightly salty, and still others absolutely oozing with chocolate. I had no idea that chocolate could even taste so good.
Lana just watched in fascinated, almost giddy happiness. "I've never seen someone enjoy it as much as you."
I scraped the last meted dregs from my bowl, inexplicably made of paper - I would have to ask about that later. So many good things I'd experienced today, and we'd only gone to two different places. The popcorn was so buttery and salty and crunchy, even if it did keep getting stuck in my teeth. The candy was almost violently sweet, some were even sour like a lemon, which was a little much for me. The ice cream, though, seemed like a perfect marriage of rich creaminess and sweetness. It was perfect. I caught Lana's gaze and couldn't help but grin. "Does all food taste this good, now?"
She laughed. "I think as far as food goes this is probably the best in my opinion. I think that Reed's cooking is a close second, though."
The mention of Reed's name sent an icy cold finger down my spine. I blanched and turned back down to the paper bowl, trying to scrape what I could from the corners.
"Are you okay?" Lana gave me a quizzical look.
"Fine," I said a little too quickly, shaking the feeling from my mind and putting on a sheepish grin. I showed her the empty bowl. "I think I have had enough ice cream for one day."
Lana took one look at the almost spotless bowl and barked out a laugh that I would have sworn came from my sister. For a second it was like she was sitting right there in front of me.

In an instant I was back at our family home, sitting in our small enclosed courtyard, heavy with the perfume of roses, chrysanthemums, and poppies. The sun beat down on the stonework, with the occasional cloud providing temporary relief up above. Isabella chuckled softly at me, her face lit up by the morning sun. I was splayed on the ground, my torso propped up by my arms, having just "tumbled" off of my seat onto the paying stones. Leaves from the bushes at my back tickled the crown of my head as I tried to catch my breath and stop my heart from trying to beat out of my chest. Of course, it was Isabella who accidentally kicked the chair out from under me as I was trying to sit.
"You should watch where you sit brother," she said, barking out a laugh.
I gave her a good-natured smile and laughed. She had me fair and square, but I was not to go down without a fight. I grabbed her arms and brought her down to the ground, pinning her.
She fought back, laughing all the while. She lunged upward, flying out of my grip and spinning me around by my arm. We wrestled, laughing and whooping, things finally normal, finally right. Until...
"Calvin." Came a shout of fear and rage. My father stormed into the courtyard down the steps. He was upon me before I had a chance to scramble out of his reach. He grabbed me roughly by the hair. Pain split down my scalp, and I cried out before I could hold it in.
"We were just playing, father." Isabella pleaded.
"Silence," Father said, his accent betraying just how poor his Portuguese really was. He turned to me, his grip on my hair tightening. Tears spam into my eyes, sure that the hair would come out altogether. "By what artifice did you escape from your room, beast?" He said in perfect English.
I squirmed in pain, barely able to form words. I dared not tell him the truth. "I unlocked the door and snuck past the priest." I cried. "I just wanted to see Isabella."
"You dare try to harm her." His voice rose to a dangerous pitch.
"No!" Isabella yelled. "He was j..."
Father flung out his hand in one swift motion and smacked Isabella to the ground. "I said, silence." Spittle flew from his mouth like a rabid dog. He pulled me down the courtyard steps as I fought to stay next to isabella, to comfort her. He cursed me through gritted teeth. "It's time we finally summoned the priest to rid you of your evil spirit."