003

CHAPTER THREE

NUISANCE

Just like Blake had promised, he had waited for her and walked the girl to her first class of the day, which they coincidentally had together. 

Josie sat in front of Blake as she scribbled down the notes while the teacher lectured the entire class. 

"And while French culture was the dominant outside cultural influence, especially for Russia's moneyed class, English culture also had its impact. Tolstoy's favorite author, for instance, was..."

"Dickens." A girl answered causing Josie to sigh. She knew the answer but the girl had beaten her to it. "Yes. And last week, we covered Dostoevski's main authorial influences."

"George Sand and Balzac." The same girl answered again. Josie could tell from the girls demeanor that she was a know-it-all.

"Good. As Tolstoy commenced writing both 'War and Peace' and 'Anna Karenina' Count Leo would turn to..."

Josie quickly raised her hand causing the teacher to look her way. "Yes Ms Davis?"

"David Copperfield." Josie smiled as she lowered her hand.

"Correct! He would turn to David Copperfield for inspiration."

The door soon opened and stood in front of the classroom was none other than Josie's new obnoxious neighbor. 

She was hoping that he would attend a different school or the two wouldn't share a class together at the least but it seemed like the world wasn't giving the Davis girl any favors. 

"Ah, Mr Dugray."

"Sir."

"Nice to have you back. I hope your grandfather's better."

"Much better, sir."

"Good. Take your seat, please."

As he turned to walk to his seat, he caught sight of Josie, a smirk forming on his lips as he walked past her. 

Josie fought the urge to scoff and roll her eyes at his actions so she went back to her notes and waited for the bell to ring, signifying the end of her first class of the day. 

"Class dismissed."

Josie quickly gathered her things as everyone began to exit the class.

"Ms Davis, will you come up here for a moment?" Josie nodded softly before she begrudgingly walked towards the teacher.

"These are last week's study materials. There'll be a test on them Monday, but since you're new, you can take a makeup on them on Wednesday. Will that be sufficient time?" Josie was handed a thick binder that weighed more than 20 pounds.