Writing An Engaging Story

So, for this, remember one thing: 

Plan

Yep. You have to plan out your story correctly. I've been working on a large story's latest version for the year, and I have recently made a story outline. It's super simplified, and I have it up on my board. Just write key events in your story line in chronological order. Trust me, it makes stuff so much easier. You have a steady amount of checkpoints to hit whilst still having a lot of freedom. And you can always change it up. Just make sure everything has continuity or else let's just say

You've left your door unlocked
And I'm in here.
I'm like the Eye of Sauron, I see everything you do.

Except I'm not like the Eye of Sauron because I'm made up of flesh as opposed to lava. Think about that. If you ever have a superiority complex remember you can never be as great as the Eye of Sauron.

 If you ever have a superiority complex remember you can never be as great as the Eye of Sauron

Dang.

Anyways *coughs like a dad*

Next up is the characters! You've got a story now, hopefully a decent one, and now time to fill it with non-white characters! Wait. That's not the right script. Hang on.

Your characters need to be full of life. It's not engaging otherwise. They also need to be diverse, not only in physical traits but also in personnality.

Don't have all of your characters be kind, energetic, etc. Add variety! Sarcasm, non-energetic, and anything else! I suggest you find a character close to your own's mood playlist. I find Dream SMP playlists good, but any character will do.

Add backstories!

Don't just go "They're an orphan." for everyone. What do you want, a Techno massacre?

Try to make them original. They can be inspired by other characters, such as Todoroki being inspired by Zuko, but not the exact same. For example, one of my characters was sent to a boarding school at a young age and lost contact with their family.

Next up is concepts!

A concept can be inspired by other stories, but not the exact same; that's boring. Anything can make a concept: a random idea you have in class, a Pinterest mood board. Build up your world around your story.

You don't have to follow J. R. R. Tolkien's example and include every scrap of the past in your world building. Just make enough for it to be convincing.

And with that, I bid you a good day/night/evening! Hydrate yourself, eat (but not too much), and practice self-hygiene.