Various bits that don't really change a book

So, as I went over last chapter, certain things can make a book. Others can, unfortunately, break it as easily. However, between those two, there exists a small sliver, a grey space. They're just kinda 'meh', like they won't annoy me that much but also won't really make me happy.

- The beginning 'POV' indication

Now, these are very common. Easy way to orientate your reader in a quick, convenient way for both parties. Just a quick "*character*'s POV" and you're set.
However, I find that those only really work for some stories. Personally, I like to keep the POV unknown, so you're on your toes the whole time until it's revealed. I find it adds that little extra bit of tension.

- The generic vocabulary

In my experience, I find that vocabulary in literature is important. I even find myself using different vocabularies between projects to fit better with the overall atmosphere.
Whenever I'm reading, I find I'm more engaged by books containing incredibly beautiful vocabulary. To improve vocabulary all around, you can read books. 

I know it sounds simple, but it's so much more helpful than you'd think. It helps absorb new vocabulary and it's just so amazing to find that perfect book to read when you have extra time. I personally grew my vocabulary by reading, and I have a few suggestions for what books to go for!

* Harry Potter: I personally grew my own vocabulary out thanks to this! I know the author isn't that great of a person (yeah ahem nope not getting into how much of a transphobic idiot she is), but honestly it's great for people starting out!

* A Series Of Unfortunate Events: Oh my god this series is amazing. There's even a whole Netflix Show for it! I love it so much, it taught me how much intricate vocabulary can add to a story!

* Percy Jackson: Amazing series all around, honestly good for getting a feel of how teenagers really act and speak. Plus, and this is a fun fact, it gives so much knowledge of mythology! And, before any of you say that mythology's useless, a lot can be learned from it! So many heroes, you can do so many references and be inspired for your own worlds!

- Vocabulary Types

This one might be more of my own personal thing, but I find that certain vocabulary types fit for different projects (like I mentioned above)! I'll provide my own example, using my own works (*cough* ones you can look at on my account *cough*)!

My first example is my Outside-Of-Wattpad one! It's set in a modern setting, with mostly teenagers as a cast. I find that in this book, I use less complicated vocabulary as, say Soaring Heights. This is because both ask for different atmospheres: OOW (Outside-Of-Wattpad) is more centered around teenagers, who aren't typically masters of using big, complicated words in their every-day speech, whilst Soaring Heights is centered around adults, some of them incredibly eloquent.

So, essentially, try to fit your vocabulary into the overall style. Make your Narrator flexible, use the fitting words! Don't use huge, Shakespearean-level words in a story about people who don't, say, write poems or read a dozen books a month, and, alternatively, don't use simple vocabulary in a story about people who are scholars.

- Dialogue

Alright, so I'm kinda guilty of this one, I'll be the first to admit it. Dialogue is kinda... meh for me. It's not like I give my characters the most cringy (or at least I hope so) lines, but writing in pre-made character has always been kinda difficult for me. What I mean by that is that pre-established characters are a bit hard for me to stick to. Actually, when you reach a moment in my fanfictions where a character has to act in a way you've never seen them act - such as anger, fear, etc... -, if you put your ear right up to your device's screen, you can hear my anguished screams as I attempt to write.

But, honestly, your readers (probably) won't mind if your character's just slightly out of character. However, you've got yourself a big problem if a character who's super chill suddenly snaps. Sure, that can work in your favour depending on what you're going for, but most of the time it's not really that good. I myself find that, and this is gonna sound pathetic, after watching a few videos of Wilbur Soot's, I could somewhat write him better?

So, going from that, try to absorb as much media of that character you can through videos, extra material, etc...

- Images instead of description

Now, this is one of the things I find I'm not super against or super for. On one hand, I get that describing things like rooms and outfits can be difficult, but on the other you have to practice how to describe to get better at it!

Honestly, personally, I find that I prefer books with proper descriptions, as they allow me to synthesize my own room/person, but honestly I'm not going to stop reading just because of a picture. Unless the author has terrible fashion sense. In that case, nope.

Something has occured to me during the writing of this chapter, something I'll be explaining next chapter to keep everything nice and organized.