Elephants

1. Elephants are the largest land animal in the world.
2. The largest elephant on record was an adult male African elephant. It weighed about 24,000 pounds and was 13 feet tall at the shoulder.
3. Elephants can live to be 70 years old.
4. Only one mammal can't jump - the elephant.
5. The average weight for an elephant heart is about 27 to 46 pounds.
6. An elephants skin is an inch thick.
7. Elephants have poor eyesight but an amazing sense of smell.
8. At the age of 16, an elephant can reproduce, but rarely has more than four children throughout their lifetime. At birth, an elephant calf weighs about 230 pounds!
7. Elephants have the longest pregnancy of all animals. It takes a female 22 months from conception to give birth.
8. Elephants purr like cats do, as a means of communication.
9. Elephants prefer one tusk over the other, just as people are either left or right handed.
10. Tusks are an elephants incisor teeth. They are used for defence, digging for water, and lifting things.
11. Elephants have four molars, one in the top and one on the bottom on both sides of the mouth. One molar can about 5 pounds and Is the same size of a brick!
12. The elephant trunk has more than 40,000 muscles in it.
13. Elephants wave their trunk in the air and from side to side to smell better.
14. The elephants trunk is able to sense the size, shape and, tempurature of an object. An elephant uses its trunk to lift food and suck up water then pour it into its mouth.
15. Elephants cry, play, have great memories, and laugh.
16. Elephants can swim - they use their trunk to breathe like a snorkel in deep water.