Chapter One: Home

"Bonds" the one thought on his mind, tomorrow he would be able to get his bond, the creature he would be together with for the rest of his life, his and his alone. He would finally have so someone to be a friend. His life on the farm had left his social meetings to the very rare occasion that relatives came, and so his only friends were the long hours on the farms, which were long, hard, and brutal.

"Andrew dinner" his mothers voice rang out from the house. Andrew stood up from the pile of hay he had been sitting on, and walked towards the house. It wasn't a large house but it was home and he loved it. It wasn't just that was his home it was that it proved that he belonged there and that he belonged somewhere.

As he walked up the porch steps Andrew smelled the wonderful aroma that could only mean his father had made dinner, his mother was a horrible cook and mostly stayed with baking, she excelled at that.

Andrew sat down at the dinner table and waited for the food to come as his father came in but couldn't help but notice that his face was grim. "Son" he began "I have been thinking many you shouldn't get a bond yet"

"WHAT THE FU-" Andrew interrupted

"No, please just hear me out" his father began "Rumors has been circulating that the bonds aren't safe right now"

"AND THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE, RUMORS, JUST RUMORS NOTHING MORE"

"Son, please just"

"No" Andrew said flatly "I will get my bond tomorrow, whether you like it or not" and with that he got up and went to his room, and let the blackness of sleep overcome him