Beyond the Perfect Sky

“Where have you been?” Nikko, my cousin, asked me immediately when I passed by his office. “You’re client is waiting for you in your office.”

I stopped walking and looked at him, confused. “Client? What do you mean a client, my client, is waiting for me? Who is the client?”

“I don’t know. They just told me when I got here. Go on.” He just shrugged and went back on fixing the documents in his table.

I just shook my head and continued walking towards my office. Who is my client? I don’t even remember having an appointment today. I looked over my secretary’s table, just outside my office, and remembered that she is on her vacation leave. I sighed and went inside my office.

“I’m sorry I’m late. I just ran some errands.” I explained while looking over my desk to check on my schedule. Oh, I really don’t have a client today. “Did you fix an appointment with my secretary about our meeting---” I stopped talking when I looked at my ‘client’.

“Hey,” she smiled and stood up to give me a hug. A tight one. “Long time no see.”

“Elani, yeah, long time no see.” I laughed awkwardly. “How are you? Are you the client that Nikko told me?”

“Actually no, I’m here because of Phin. I gave him his lunch earlier and decided to come visit you.” I coughed at what she said and pretended to be busy with my files. “It’s been what? 5 years, since you moved out to Italy.”

“And I regret that decision.” I whispered hoping she won’t hear what I said.

“What?” She asked but I just shook my head. “I think it’s getting late. Since I’m already here I want to give you this.”

“What is this?” I asked getting the invitation. I almost stopped breathing when I saw what the invitation is all about.

“You are invited to come and witness the most special day of
ELANIANNA DIAZ and PHINNEAS MONTEMAYOR
Join them in celebrating their wedding day!!!”

“Saturday next week?” I asked even though I wanted to cry right now.

“Yes! It’s a special day for us and I would like to ask you to attend because it would be great if you’re there. Actually I am also going to ask you if you can be my Maid of Honor since you’re my only close friend. I can’t choose between Phin’s friends, which are your friends too, because I feel that they don’t like me.” She seems excited huh? I wish I can be excited too when I attend their wedding.

“Uh sure, I’ll clear my schedule.” I answered and kept the invitation in the cabinet of my desk.

“OMG Rasha, thank you so much! I’ll be expecting you, okay?” She hugged me again before leaving my office.

“WHAT?!” Peri shouted.

“Geez Peri, lower down your voice.” Zizi said and gave me a glass of water.
We are here right now in Nikko’s condo unit. I don’t even know how they knew about my encounter with Elani. I looked over to Nikko and he gave me a warm smile. Well then, it’s Nikko who spread the news to them.

“I can’t calm down when our friend just agreed to be the maid of honor of her boyfriend’s soon-to-be-wife!” Peri shouted again.

“Can you please… Phin’s not my boyfriend anymore.” I answered and sighed.

“Oh really? Did the two of you break up? Did he break up with you before having a relationship with Elani?” Peri asked me but I didn’t have the courage to answer because the answer would be no. “See? It means he cheated on you! Phin is a freaking cheater!”