Twenty-Five

I've Just Seen A Face by The Beatles

"So what I'm hearing is that you want possession of the Elixirs of Renewal in order to heal yourself fully-- to walk again?" Loki questions, still skeptical of the whole situation. Strange wouldn't be too happy to hear that his little apprentice was meeting with Loki in secret...

"Yes," Emerson answers while she sits, staring at her reflection in the water.

"And in order to possess said elixirs, you need me to retrieve them," he puts the pieces together.

"Precisely," Emerson mutters under her breath, hoping he'll say yes. She looks down to the crystal clear pond in front of her. Small fish swim about, coming to the surface to gulp a bubble of air.

"No," is all he responds with.

"What? N-No?" Emerson stutters in shock, not expecting that reaction from him.

"Is there something you do not understand?"

"I just... Well, I was hoping you would help me. I'm truly desperate and I don't know what else to do," Emerson tries explaining while the frustration and sadness build. "I need your help. Please."

Loki only crosses his arms and looks down at the sergeant. Deep down he feels good knowing that someone needs his help. It makes him feel powerful and in control. The apprentice's future depends on him. The god doesn't have much time to set aside for the apprentice's feeble chore, but she may be able to convince him otherwise. "Why should I help you?" He asks.

Taken back, Emerson's mouth drops as she tries to form a reason. "I, uh... I'm supposed to become the sanctum's guardian and it's difficult to do that without the ability to walk. It would make my life a whole lot easier and I'd be a stronger sorcerer. I understand you may be busy but I'm begging you. I made a mistake and I learned my lesson, I just need my legs back."

"Hmm," he says as he places his fist under his chin to show he's thinking.

"Please," Emerson whispers feeling her face heat up. This is her only chance to get better-- she needs Loki's help. Tears begin building up in the corners of her eyes but she fights them back.

"Under these conditions: first and foremost, you keep that ring on your finger at all times. I don't care what the wizard says, you keep that on your person at all times. Secondly, you are now at my beck and call and you must do whatever I ask of you," a smirk creeps onto his face as he tells the details to the sergeant. She looks up from the water, her eyebrows coming together as she looks at the god all bug-eyed.

"Wait, n-no. I do not want to do that," Emerson tries to interject knowing how ungrateful she sounds. "I have things to do, I can't just come whenever you call. Besides, we don't even know each other, what would you want with me?" the sergeant questions.

"You want to walk again, do you not?" He retorts with an emotionless expression plastered on his handsome face.

"I do but-"

"Then you will agree to these terms... Do you understand?" He snaps, startling the sorcerer. Then a genuine expression shows on his face as he begins talking once more. "I am aware we do not know each other, that's why I would like to change that. I will do you a favor and you do me one," he smiles as if it were so simple.

"But you want me to do two favors... Keep the ring on and come whenever you call."

"I suppose you are correct... How about this; you keep the ring on, and I will come whenever I need you," Loki changes the terms of the agreement. Emerson lets out a sigh before speaking up again.