Introduction

“What is required of me, sir?” Steve Rogers asked. He had just finished his set in Chicago when Military orders came from overseas. A little boy handed Steve an envelope. He smiled as Steve handed him a small tip for his service. His name and the date was on the outside of the letter. 1944. Steve gently ripped open the letter, scanning it carefully.

                Rogers-

                Special Agent Elizabeth Jay “Beth” is being sent over, personally, to observe the sales of war bonds. She will also be there to observe and take notes of the conditions of the people. You will need to keep an eye on her- she will arrive by taxi around 5:30pm. 

                                                                                                Agent Peggy Carter

                Steve folded the paper up before changing his clothes into his army uniform. His new build and body was all so new. He checked the clock quickly. He strolled out to the city streets of Chicago to wait for this new female agent. Taxis rolled by but only one stopped.

                Out stepped Special Agent Elizabeth Jay. Her hair was brown and longer than most women’s- curled to perfection topped with Victory Rolls. Her feet hit the ground daintily inside her strapped Mary Jane’s. As she stood, the fabric of her army green dress topped with her military blazer and pins swished around her knees. Her lips were the color of red velvet cake, probably tasted just as good. Diamond, real diamond, stud earring topped off the glamour as her perfect makeup complexion smiled at Steve. She clipped up to him (if you looked just right into her patent leather shoes, you could see right up her skirt to the garters holding up her sheer back seam tights). Sher extended her perfectly manicured hand to him.

                “Just call me Beth,” Elizabeth Jay smiled at Steve. He took her hand, shook it firmly, and then linked their arms together. They walked down the street in odd silence.

                “Why were you really sent here?” Steve asked. His blue eyes met with her brown ones and they stared for a second. Elizabeth took a deep breath before starting to talk. She was American, with a slightly strange southern sound to her voice in certain words.

                “I was undercover in Germany last winter. What I saw there can’t be erased from my mind. So naturally, I was seen unfit to serve overseas. Once they found me a low profile case or job, I ended up here. Not that that’s a bad thing,” Elizabeth flirted.

                “Well I’m so sorry. Do you want to… do something?” Steve asked her. She sighed.

                “In all honesty- sitting down sounds amazing,” Elizabeth smiled. Steve took her back inside the theater and to his dressing room. It was neat and filled with drawings and newspaper clippings. Two worn wingback chairs at in a corner. Elizabeth sat and took her shoes, jacket, tights, and earrings off before wrapping up in a blanket Steve handed her. Steve felt intimidated by such a powerful woman.

                “Do you want to… tell me what you saw?” Steve asked softly.

                Snow fell in the ghetto, making the streets even harder to navigate, what with all the people homeless. Street vendors were closed and he wind bashed around the shutters, so literally everyone was cold. Elizabeth wasn’t the only “single” woman there- lots were widows now. Posing as something she wasn’t was never easy for Elizabeth.

                One morning, when there was little wind, the snow was clean and fresh, people were heard shouting in the streets. Below were two lines, short lines, of women and children. They were crying and looked hungry, shivering from the harsh cold. The snow leaked into their tattered shoes as the stood there. That’s when the other group showed up.

                A group of Jewish male protesters were being round up in the streets. Nazis and other officials were forcing the men to their knees while women with their babies had to watch. One by one, the men were beat and yelled at, the snow around then turning to a deep velvet red. Then the men had to stand, walked one by one, out of the town and to the train station to be deported to a Concentration Camp. Elizabeth shut her windows so quickly, she nicked herself and bleed for a few minutes before the cold stopped it. She heard the people marching down the streets crying out for help.

                “No I’m okay,” Elizabeth started to talk but the door was thrown open. A very official looking man in a suit smiled when he saw Elizabeth’s shoes and other clothes on the floor. He looked at Rogers.

                “The mayor called- you’re in such high demand here, he wants you to perform again tonight and again tomorrow! Get ready! Show’s on in 15!” he man closed the door. Steve put his head in his hands. He stood and grabbed his stage uniform.

                “This stuff is so ridiculous, ma’am” Steve mumbled.

                “Please, call me Beth. I’ll be the judge of that- if I laugh, then it’s ridiculous,” Elizabeth smile. Steve laughed and looked down at the clothes in his hands. Agent Jay stood quickly.

                “Okay yes I can leave. I will be right outside,” Elizabeth stepped out. Right then she got a strange feeling, making it worse when a phone started to ring. When no one went to answer, Elizabeth did.

                “We need you back overseas. The General wants you while Peggy does some training with the new recruits,” a Sargent spoke to her. She looked back at Steve’s door.

                “Howard in on the roof right now,” the Sargent said before hanging up. Elizabeth was so emotional and didn’t take goodbyes well. She didn’t bother getting her things- material possessions were a weakness. She quickly mounted the stairs, the cold stone hitting the balls of her feet sharply. She raced to the little plane and didn’t look back at the theater, the people streaming in. On the inside, Steve left his room.

                “Hey, Beth! You can stand off to the side of the stage if you want to see the show,” Steve smiled. He searched for the beautiful woman, but she was gone.