Edgar lay in a small room that was at the end of the hallway of Patrick's home. It wasn't a servant's room but it wasn't an extravagant guest room either. Patrick seemed to be having an issue with Edgar's placement in the home. He was too intelligent and educated to be placed as a servant but there really wasn't anywhere else he could be in the home. He looked up at the ceiling, wishing his life were better. If he had just kept his stupid mouth shut, then maybe when Higgs and Merida had married, they would have adopted him as their son. Lord Clarvins knew nothing about his odd little family... Someone would come and get him... most likely Merida. There had to be a way around the contract...

Edgar...

Edgar sat up in confusion since he was sure no one was around and it was the middle of the night.

"Hello?" he said.

Edgar...

Edgar made a face and got up, walking out to the main part of the house. It was quiet and everyone was asleep. Edgar lifted his candle to see if someone was there.

"Hello?" he said softly.

A soft sputtering caught his attention and he looked at the front door, fear overcoming him.

"What in blazes are you doing up?"

Edgar gasped, finding Patrick looking at him from the stairs with his own candle.

"Why are you up so late, milord?"

"I have a hard time sleeping and am often up throughout the night... I also swear a heard a carriage pull around and came to investigate." He lifted an eyebrow. "Were you planning to escape?"

"No, I promise. I kept hearing someone calling my name."

Edgar...

Patrick looked around. "Did you bring demons with you, boy?"

"You heard it too?"

"Of course."

There was a knock at the door and then two of them looked at each other. Patrick pushed Edgar towards the door.

"I'm the lord of the house, I don't open doors."

Edgar made a face as he shakily walked up to the door. He opened it and yelled, falling back onto his back. Patrick was frozen in his spot as the dark figure stood at the door with no head but said head under his arm. Patrick started shaking.

"D-D-Dullahan."

The Dullahan lifted its head and Patrick saw that it was Higgs' head. The eyes opened, seeming to look in all directions at once.

"You have taken what is mine." The head whispered, the mouth moving but the eyes not looking.

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"Edgar..."

"Y-you've got it all wrong! I bought the boy-"

"And I raised him!" he spat, a dark mist enveloping his body as his face focused on Patrick with a deathly glare, eyes red with a fire in them. "You have taken what belongs to me and for that you must pay the price!"

"Please, please don't kill me!" Patrick screamed, falling to his knees and cupping his hands in plea. "I'll do whatever you want as long as you don't take my soul!"

"Anything?"

"Anything."

"The debt has been paid. Your life has been spared this night. Hand the boy to me."

"NO!" Edgar screamed. "No, I don't want to die! Please, Mr. Higgs! I-It can't be my time! You've made a mistake!"

"No, no; a life for a life, boy." Patrick said, picking him up off the floor. "He's sparing me to kill you." He laughed at that. "I just realized that that's pretty cruel-"