The magic begins

“So I guess you don't want to be the girlfriend of a blood traitor, do you?” Ron almost shouted.

“That's not what I said!” I shouted back. “I told you OTHER PEOPLE think some families are better than others, and that we had to be careful!”

“God, Hermione, get a grip! I know that's what you meant!”

“No, I didn't!” I glared at him with all the contempt I could muster. “why do you always have to be like this?”

“Oh, I dunno, maybe cause I'm right you stupid mudblood!” I could see in his face that he was as shocked as she was at the words that had come out of his mouth. We stared at each other in shocked silence. A part of me, a nicer part, a forgiving part, knew that he hadn't meant it, that he was just angry. But the other part, the darker part, the hateful part, was unforgiving.

I looked at him, glared at him is a better word. Then I turned around and marched away before tears could overcome me. When I was out of his sight, I started running, desperate to get somewhere deserted as soon as possible. I finally found an empty classroom and sat down against a wall and let the tears come.

“Ronald you complete arse!” I screamed into nothing.

“Granger? What're you doing here? Studying again?” Draco walked through the door with an obnoxious grin on his face.

“Go away malfoy,” I told him, angry at him, at ron, at the world, everyone.

“Hermione, what's wrong?” he asked concerned, seeing my tears for the first time. When I didn't answer he sat down next to me. He didn't say anything, he just sat there. Which was actually kind of nice.

“Ron and I had a fight,” I finally told him. “He called me a mudblood.”

Draco looked shocked. “Weasley called you a mudblood?” he asked.

That's what I said, wasn't it.”

“I'm sorry.”

“For what?”

“Calling you a mudblood. You know, in the second year. It was a horrible thing to say, and i'm sorry.” he carefully placed his thumb under her eye, wiping away the tears that had gathered there. “And if you ever need to talk, I'll be here.”

“Why?” I asked. “you've never been anything but mean to me!”

“because... I'm in love with you,” he said, and kissed me on the cheek. He started to blush. “well, I should get going. See you around, and remember that you can always talk to me!” and then he walked out of the classroom, leaving me there alone, smiling.