Chapter 1

In Manhattan lived a clan of mythical creatures that once lived in 994 AD Scotland. Now they thrived in the present time New York City led by their legendary leader, Goliath.

They were more than just a clan, though. These gargoyles were a family, and would always be there for each other in particular circumstances.

But there does come a time though when not even their stone sleep was their miracle cure. Deep within Manhattan, their enemy, the Quarrymen planned a deadly game for the gargoyles. Jon Castaway wanted to do something that could eventually be given to all of them, but for now, they needed a test subject.

Jon sat in his chair before his men with his successful experiment. He grinned sadistically. "I believe we finally have something that could ultimately break that so-called invincible clan in this city."

One Quarrymen raised his hand. "But what about smashing them during the day?" Jon shook his head no.

"No, that is a waste. This serum I created, a disease you can call it, has to ultimately break them on the inside, destroy their spirit. Just smashing them isn't enough... but which gargoyle to use for the experiment?"

He brought up photos of each gargoyle. But only one were the Quarrymen interested in: Hudson.

"Their elder! He is the weakest of them! His stone sleep doesn't heal his scar on his eye anymore!" Jon then nodded, smirking wider.

"The death of the elder in the clan will surely hurt the one who has a strong connection with him, for sure. We ambush him the next time we attack those monsters." growled John, slamming his fist on the table. The Quarrymen cheered and laughed evilly, looking forward to doing their dirty deed.

...

Meanwhile in Manhattan, the clan awoke from their sleep, and got ready to go on patrol. Goliath had assigned Hudson with Brooklyn for their routine.

"Be safe out there, you two," Goliath said, a hand on his Second's shoulders. Brooklyn nodded. "Don't worry, we'll be fine," he said, smiling. He usually enjoyed patrolling with Hudson.

The two gargoyles flew through the alleyways, occasionally encountering thugs hurting innocent ones on the streets. After a while, they stopped to rest their wings.

Brooklyn suddenly had a thought. "Hudson, do you think Goliath made the right choice, me being a leader?" He asked then. Hudson turned to him curiously. "I believe so, lad. You've proven to us in the past that you had promise. Try not to let those doubts get to ye." He said warmly, taking Brooklyn's hand. The red gargoyle smiled at the elder before suddenly they heard a noise. Then a group of familiar humans came into view.

"Quarrymen!" yelled Brooklyn, getting into his fighting stance. The two of them took the men on, fighting viciously. One held the needle with the disease serum in it, waiting for his moment to strike at the old gargoyle.

Two Quarrymen held down Hudson, knocking his sword out of his hand. Hudson struggled with all he had but they were strong. The one with the needle came over to him.

"Yes, you're the one we need," he sneered. Hudson growled at them. Another feral screech rang through the air; it was Brooklyn. He tackled the one about to poke it into his friend.

Brooklyn's eyes flashed in anger while fighting the Quarryman, who was attempting to pull away.

"Stay out of our way!" snarled the Quarryman dangerously. Brooklyn hissed back. "As long as I live, you won't harm Hudson!" But then, his enemy had a gleam in his eyes.

"Bad choice of words, Devil... you will pay the price for interfering..." he sneered, before suddenly poking the needle into Brook's arm.

Brooklyn yelped, staggering back, taking it out and throwing it away, then holding his bleeding arm. He glared at the Quarryman.

"W-what did you do to me?!" He demanded shakily. His enemy simply sneered, not speaking and running off, the others following. Brooklyn stared after them, still holding his arm that felt rather sore. Hudson pulled himself up after the Quarrymen let him go.

He instantly went over to Brooklyn, who winced in pain and steadied him. "Ye ok, lad?" The elder asked in worry. Brooklyn took some steps but didn't stumble. "Think so," he responded in a soft voice. "But what happened? All I know is that the guy stuck that needle in me." Hudson rubbed his shoulder.

"I don't know. Perhaps we could put off tonight for a bit until yer arm is healed, that's a pretty nasty puncture wound," Hudson offered. Brook nodded, feeling a little lightheaded, letting Hudson take him back, helping him to glide, which he was lucky to be able to still do as long as Hudson helped him.

Hudson now worried what the Quarrymen had wanted to hurt him with before the young lad had wound up saving his life, and was still worried of what would happen later on.