❀ XIII ❀

Early the next morning, Izanami and Xiao left Komore Teahouse. The shinigami was in disguise as they left the city. She led the way through the Byakko Plain and Chinju Forest.

On a cliffside overlooking the eastern shore of Narukami Island, two yumemiru trees stood tall. Izanami shedded the haori and unwound her hair from around her ears. Her eyes focused on the island located a few miles off the coast.

Xiao saw the island and wondered how they were going to cross the ocean. "How will we cross?"

"Simple." Izanami walked between the two trees. A translucent bridge with pink yumemiru leaves appeared as she stepped off the ledge. She turned to Xiao with a smile. "It's time I showed you my home."

The yaksha stepped onto the bridge, amazed at its beauty. He walked beside the shinigami and crossed the ocean. He admired the beauty of the island nation and the mysteries it kept tucked away.

After a lengthy walk, the couple arrived on Kami Island. It was much smaller compared to Narukami, but it was the perfect size to house a grand shrine. However, the beautiful shrine that once stood mighty now was in shambles. The flourishing trees that surrounded the temple were bare, the trunks burnt from scorching flames.

Izanami stared sorrowfully at her shrine. Slowly, she ascended of what remained of the stairwell leading up to the entrance. She stepped over the sliding doors that were knocked from their sockets and stood at the entrance. Turning around, she faced Xiao. "Welcome to Kami Shrine. I wish you could've seen what it looked like before it was destroyed."

"Can it be repaired?" The adeptus asked, walking up the staircase to stand beside her.

"With time and care, it can be restored. Alas, it is impossible with the current state of Inazuma. It would be difficult to procure the materials necessary without attracting the Shogunate's attention."

"I see..."

"But there is still one place no one can destroy." Izanami took Xiao's hand and escorted him into the shrine. They were blinded by a flash of light before arriving in the world held within the tarnished temple.

Xiao was in awe as they arrived in the spiritual world

Xiao was in awe as they arrived in the spiritual world. The beautiful temple located atop the floating island took his breath away.

Izanami giggled at his reaction. "As I said, this world is perfect and home to an imperfect being. Such beauty and peace is wasted on me."

"Nonsense," Xiao denied her claims. "You are the only one worthy of this world."

She wanted to say he was just being nice, but he wasn't one to preach sweet lies to make someone feel better. He was an honest person, which is one of the many reasons why she loved him. A faint blush painted her cheeks. As she was trying to come up with a response, three of her disciples met them on the bridge.

"Lady Izanami!" The three disciples chanted. The foxes leapt onto their master, tackling her to the ground.

Izanami grunted when her back hit the wooden panels of the bridge. She groaned, eyes staring up at the trio who knocked her down. "You three seem to be doing just fine."