Chapter 5

When Lucas awoke, he found that he was no longer on the couch, but instead back in Athanasia's bedroom.

When did that happen?

Athanasia was putting on a denim jacket before looking over at Lucas. "Oh! You're awake!"

"I am indeed.. What's with the jacket? Are you going somewhere?"

The girl sighed, before turning back to Lucas. "Well, I realized that although I love you, you stink."

Lucas frowned. "What?"

"Dear, you haven't changed out of those clothes. Ever since I brought you here." Athanasia scrunched up her nose. "So, I'm going out to buy you clothes."

"..are you..?" Lucas asked hesitantly. If she was going out, he has an opportunity to escape!

"Yep. So.." Athanasia pulled out a small, black remote and clicked a button on it. Immediately, he heard a bunch of doors slam close and the sounds of all the locks in the house clicking shut. Well, there goes that plan.

"Lucas." Turning back to Athanasia, Lucas saw the girl's face. It was dead serious, with a hint of sadness tucked away behind her eyes. "I want to trust you. But I can't let you escape."

Athanasia walked over to Lucas and slowly started untying his ropes. Taking a few steps back, the girl sighed before waving her hand 'goodbye'.

"I'll see you later."

Athanasia turned and walked out of the bedroom, Lucas listening for the front door opening and closing. Once he guaranteed that yes, Athanasia isn't in the house, he rubbed his wrists. They were sore from being tied up for around three or four days.

Lucsa frowned, scanning his surroundings. He wanted to take this opportunity to escape, but he doesn't think that could be possible. Unless..

Is there a chimney in the house?

Lucas started searching. If he could find a chimney, there's a possibility that he could climb up it and leave.

Entering the living room, Lucas frowned. No chimney.

Not in Athanasia's bedroom.

Or the kitchen.

...

The chimney was in a room he hasn't seen yet. It's a plain marble, with an outline of gold. On a wall, there was a painting of Athanasia and, Lucas is assuming, her father. Taking another glance around the room, Lucas frowned.

If it weren't for the painting, Lucas would have assumed this was an extravagant guest room. Walking further in, Lucas noticed a bed that doesn't look like it was used recently, a couch that looked used often compared to the bed, a desk..

Frowning, Lucas shook his head. Now is not the time to question Athanasia's father. Now is the time to escape. Walking over to the chimney, Lucas awkwardly shimmied himself into it, trying not to move any of the burnt out logs.

Athanasia isn't stupid. She's pretty damn clever, actually. She's going to notice the logs if he moves them. Lucas struggled to move his legs onto the side of the chimney, pressing his back against the parallel side. Lucas grinned silently in a victory when he was able to get himself into that position, before slowly shimmying upwards and out of the house.

Lucas moved his legs upward, one at a time, to prevent him from falling, and then lifted the rest of his upper body up by dragging it upwards, slowly. Repeating this process, Lucas was finally at the top of the chimney after what felt like forever. Moving a hand upwards, Lucas grabbed the rim of the chimney before grasping it with his other hand. Pulling himself upwards, Lucas grunted as he made it out of the chimney and onto the roof. Blinking Lucas sighed with relief.