Meira (1)

**This is slightly random, but I promise it'll make sense in due time!! It's a chapter from Meira's perspective that details this time what's going on in Luxandria- the reason for it being posted now is because it's what is currently ongoing and will lead up to where Nikolai and Kalena are as of now :) **

*Apologies if you have already read this; it was posted earlier by mistake!!*

*There will be a Part Two and Three before the book reverts to Kalena's POV*

Written in Meira's Perspective

Golden chandeliers encrusted with shimmering diamonds mirrored in the marble floors of the grand dining room. Tall, cream pillars stood at regular intervals nears the walls, bordering the massive oak table laden with a feast. There were intricate platters piled high with chicken, even more with steaming vegetables and warm loaves of golden bread. Small plates of appetisers lined the main dishes, everything from foreign cheeses to calamari topped with fresh garlic and lemon. The rich scents drifted through the room and out into the guarded hallway. But I paid them no mind – at the head of my table, upon a throne-like chair of my own design, I only sat sipping at my red wine.

Beside me, Andraste swirled the olive floating atop her champagne. "So many months had gone by without an invitation," she said, "I was beginning to assume you'd forgotten of our monthly custom."

Despite the complaint, there was a smile on her delicately beautiful face. And a harsh truth behind her words; at the beginning of every month, the three women of the Day Court's inner circle gathered. Historically, it had been to discuss politics and to make major decisions. Over the centuries, however, Andraste, Yidira and I had found we much preferred to mix politics with pleasure, so usually spoke of court intrigue and peace treaties over plates of luxurious cuisine.

"If you didn't notice," I said, reaching for a cracker covered in sour cream and caviar, "a war got in the way. I couldn't very well ask you to dinner while our soldiers were fighting on the frontlines, could I?"

The High Lady rose a single brow. "The war terminated weeks ago."

Had it already been so long? With Nikolai's absence and the ongoing conflicts that demanded constant attention, time had flown by faster than an Aedgian archer's arrow. I admitted, "I've been... occupied."

"So we've heard." Yidira's dark eyes glittered anticipatedly from where she sat on the other side of me. "Who's your latest victim?"

I sorted through the list in my head, then said, "Lord of Icebourne."

"Icebourne?" Andraste practically gagged on the word, instantly revealing her knowledge of the city's political status. "I'd have gutted that man right there, the pig that he is."

"And risked ruining your perfect manicure?" Yidira laughed. I didn't point out that maintaining spotless nails while hunting our court's enemies wasn't as impossible as it seemed. After all, my glossy red ones still looked as immaculate as ever.

Yidira flicked back the curtain of her inky black hair as she faced me again. "Aren't Icebourne involved in funding Veyren's coming onslaught?"

"Not anymore. It didn't take long to track him. And after that... well..." I smirked – "I made a bargain."

Extending my left arm out before me, I unfurled my fist. On my palm, upon the pale ivory flesh, a single, black line stretched from the very tip of my middle finger down to where my wrist began.

Andraste eyed it warily. "What did you promise?" she questioned.

I drew my hand back and again wound it around my goblet.  "Any man's dearest jewel – his Lady." At the confused look on both their faces, I explained, "A few mild threats had the Lord handing over his funds in no time. He then smuggled a note to his wife, instructing her to escape the House of Might, where Veyren's inner circle currently reside. But she's been apprehended."